Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
@lkalliance You did a great job with the commentary this week. Some really solid entries to choose from.

More background on my entry this week. Before the big snow there was already snow on the ground. Storm started out as heavy rain which turned that earlier layer into about an inch of pure ice as the temp dropped and it started to snow. The snow was indeed very wet and heavy. I had to get the car out to make a 100 mile trip the next day to take my wife to a medical appointment.

The cat did prevail, but as you pointed out with much spinning of the tires. He had already been stuck for a couple of minutes when I took the photo. Anyways we got to Lethbridge and waited about 6 hours to see the doc. Spent the night in Lethbridge, the next day more heavy snow made it unsafe to travel, then the temp dropped to -38° the following night. We finally headed home after spending 2 nights in a motel. When we got home we had to hire the Bobcat again, although this time the snow was more powdery, but still quite deep.

Last edited:

Jumpthesnark

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2022
California
Though these are two individuals sharing the wave, I don't get the impression they are competing for it, or that they are opposed--by the very nature of the activity, they're moving in the same direction.
Just an FYI, both surfers took the same wave from different locations, with one going right and one going left until they almost collided. The guy on the right fell back and into the water after the near miss. I think the guy on the left had the right of way, but to give the surfer at right the benefit of the doubt, the guy at left was coming from under a pier (where I was standing) so he may not have seen him clearly. So they were definitely competing for the same wave, but probably shouldn't have been. The surfers were moving "in the same direction" only in the most general sense - that waves go toward the shore. But in practicality, surfers have to go left or go right on a wave to get energy and speed, not straight toward the shore. Surfers ride across the wave, left-to-right or right-to-left. You'll even see that the guy on the left is riding goofy foot (right foot closer to the front of the board) and the other guy is riding "regular" (left foot forward), which also indicates their direction of movement across the wave.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.