Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

globalist

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
So I'm fairly new to both digital photography and to photo contests in this forum. I got my first DSLR just this August (though I had a borrowed one back in 2014 for a little bit but I never learned how to use it properly back then) and I've been trying to master it ever since. I still feel like a noob and it's all the more amazing about this tech how, despite the above, sometimes the photos do come out great, even unintentionally.

So in this week's contest, I woud like to see your shots that you think never deserved to turn out as good as they did - be it due to your lack of skill/technique at the moment, lack of preparation for the shot, your artistic intention being something else, etc.

I will illustrate with this example of mine, where I took the shot literally 30 seconds after waking up, simply because I loved the color of the rising sun in my garden in autumn. I didn't think of the camera settings at all, just zoomed in, focused somewhere and released the shutter. I never intended for this spooky, Haloween-like effect to come out in the first place and I feel had I had more time for the shot or devoted any significant time to thinking about the settings before taking it, it might have not turned out as good as it did. Or perhaps it might, but I will never know. This tech is simply too amazing!

oZiMjxW.jpg

Hope this one is not entirely vague, so let's get posting!

As usual, the rules are as follows:

· Do not comment, vote, react, or click “like” on images prior to the winners being announced.

· The photographs must be your own work.

· You may only submit one photo per contest.

· This contest runs for one week, if in doubt, check the dates in the title.

· At the end of the week, The Judge will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible.

· If the Judge is unable to complete the selection within 48 hours of the deadline, then last week's 2nd place has to step in. 3rd place takes over should 2nd place be similarly unable to officiate.

· The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create a new theme, after that it defers to 2nd place).

· Be sure to update the Contest Master List as soon as you post a new theme.

tizeye

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
Wow, that is a unique theme.

Lack of skill, while applies today, this slide scan takes me back about 50 years for true lack of skill. Reviewing various scans, there were several possibilities with my girlfriend, now wife, and our first child newborn, but time had elapsed and even the camera changed from Mamyia/Sekor to Nikkormat for my son. The one that really stands out and can't believe I captured it is my grandmother visiting from her home 200 miles away, taken during the short visit with my first camera and either the first or second roll of film.
Mammy.jpg

Last edited:

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently

1 month in with my first dslr (6D mk1) back in Aug2013, re-edited and re-uploaded in 2018.
While the camera was not in any kind of auto mode, have never ever used them, I hardly knew what I was doing, ie, exposure triangle, subject isolation etc, but this was the intuitive result of that.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
I do not like crowds or a lot of noise. Years ago I was in a small, very crowded, and very noisy space. I was getting more and more irritable, and I was in a very foul mood when I left. Just outside of the room was a table with these candles. I shot a couple of frames because it seemed like something to do. This is the result.

Shabbat song session 09a.jpg

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
If I recall correctly, I had only had my Nikon D70 a day or two and on a sunny, warm and pleasant day in April 2005 I was sitting out on my deck still trying to figure out the settings and just enjoying my new camera, my first DSLR. I'd had SLRs in the past but had more recently gotten sidetracked by a succession of Coolpixes. Now I was back to a real camera again. Studying the menu options, I suddenly realized that I was smelling smoke and when I looked up, saw smoke drifting towards my building from nearby, and then I heard sirens.....

Without even really thinking about it, still clutching my new camera, I ran out the front door to our parking area and when I looked to my right at the nearby road, saw a truck on fire. WOW! The inner photojournalist in me sprang to life and I turned the camera on and got closer to the scene, and barely taking time to adjust settings, started firing away.....

This was one of the several shots I got that day and, boy was I happy! Thrilled to pieces that I'd actually managed to capture something exciting and interesting with my new camera. Here I was, barely having touched the surface of figuring out all its bells and whistles and yet I was getting some half-decent results. Technically perfect? No, and of course I had to be mindful of staying out of the way of the firemen who were doing their job. It was a memorable experience, that whole thing.....

Burning Truck.jpeg

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
An older one but relevant for this theme. Shooting a friends wedding and had been using burst mode outside to hopefully capture the perfect facial expression. Walked up to this natural alcove and wanted to use the flash to highlight the framing tree but forgot to switch to single shooting. Second shot fired without any flash which was recycling at the time and the couple absolutely loved the resultant silhoutte...

Wedding Silhoutte
by Andy Whiteford, on Flickr

globalist

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
So the results are in. But first of all, I would like to thank you all for making my job easy by submitting only 9 entries into this week's contest. :D

@tizeye A very lovely shot of a very lovely subject. I'm sure the photo means a huge deal to you and I like the out-of-focus and otherworldy quality of it too.

@Indydenny Man you must have been desperate and I'm glad you snapped this one in the end. But maybe just too much editing went into it afterwards?

@needfx Wow, that's what I'm talking about! You really nailed it there with the framing, focus and composition! Not sure how much you knew about any of those, but this is a pro-looking pitcture and the B&W filter only adds to the polish.

@mackmgg I really like the spirit of this one, hoping to one day capture lightning like that myself. We don't get a lot of thunderstorms around these parts, even in the summer. Did you use a phone camera or used some weird post-processing on the photo?

@deep diver This one seems to really be reflecting your mood when you were taking it. Not sure it's doing much for me, but it's not bad at all for an impromptu shot.

@CmdrLaForge WTF man... Just, WTF? :D

@Clix Pix Nice one, and I wouldn't hesitate to use it in a local newspaper coverage of the story!

@Donka This is a nice photo and it too has an otherworldy quality to it. Although maybe I would prefer to see a better-quality copy of the photo?

@oblomow I don't have much to go on, as far as your story goes, but it seems you managed to capture the atmosphere of that walk quite well. The subject of this photo is definitely uncertain, and while this can be an issue sometimes, it can also add to the overall impression.

So here are the winners:

1st place: @needfx
2nd place: @tizeye
3rd place: @oblomow

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
Congrats to the winners!

I really liked the idea of this contest but as I said in my earlier post, I am a heavy culler. I have worked hard at my craft and honestly, although I do have a ton of images that come out like crap because I was experimenting with things, at this point, my good images aren't luck - they come with experience and practice. ? I'm sure I could have pulled through the archives to have found some "luck" images but they are so far behind me I wouldn't recall if they were from luck or practice.

Just wanted to shed some light on why this might have been a lightly entered week (plus...holidays here in the US).

On to the next!

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
Congrats to to the winners, and sorry i didn't enter, but I used my best 'got away with it' shot in a previous competition and didn't feel comfortable using it again...

@needfx what will you be torturing us with next? :D

Cheers :)

Hugh

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
whoops!!

Thanks @globalist et al!! I really did not know what I was doing. This photo has been rehashed in here several times, so here I was hoping I was not kicked out of the subforum

@tizeye, @mackmgg and @Donka were my favs this time around

sorry if I sound (read) rushed, I am.

Reverting within the day

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.