Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
It's been over two years since this theme, and I feel like it's pretty inclusive to everyone. 🙂 Most of you know I've been doing some black and white film photography and development this year, and for me it's a fun challenge to think in terms of black and white. Any genre is welcome, assuming you follow the normal rules.

Please note, this is "black and white" and I am not looking for sepia toned or similar.

Roll _15_YashicaMat124_2022_Image_09.jpg

The usual rules apply (new participants, please read):

1. The photographs must be your own work.
  2. You may only submit one photo per contest.
  3. No commenting or liking photos until after the judging has taken place (ie, don't be like me).
  4. This contest runs for one week, starting now.
  5. At the end of the week, The Judge (last week's Winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible.
  6. The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme, after that it defers to 2nd place).

Last edited:

Jumpthesnark

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2022
California
MLK_1986-Little-Steven.jpg

Steven Van Zandt, aka Little Steven or Miami Steve from the E Street Band, aka Silvio Dante on The Sopranos. At the Ebenezer Baptist Church in Atlanta on Jan. 20, 1986, for the first celebration of Martin Luther King Day as a national holiday.

Shot on Tri-X with a Nikon F3 and a Nikkor 300mm f/2.8, hand developed in the bathroom of a forgotten Atlanta motel room using hot Dektol to save a few minutes on deadline.

leagueoflegos

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2022
Used my iPhone 14 Pro Max to capture some flamenco for a recent graphic design job.

This photo of Noelle, fourth generation in a flamenco family in the US, was shot using Portrait Mode. Shot others in RAW, but was equally impressed with this capture despite the lack of RAW. The details in the dress are exquisite—too bad we can't upload full size.
001_noelle_OPT.png

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
One of the very first images I took with my Linhof 4x5 camera. The 127mm Schneider Xenar left a bit to be desired and was replaced with an 121mm Schneider Super Angulan as soon as I could afford it. This is the Yoho River along the Yoho Pass backpack trail which runs from Emerald Lake, BC to Takakaw Falls. I recall having one leg of the headless tripod sitting in the river, and taking about 15 minutes adjusting back and lens swings and tilts to get as much of the image in focus as possible.
Ilford FP4 film Microphen developer.
YohoRiver_4.jpg

Allyance

Contributor
Sep 29, 2017
East Bay, CA
One of the very first images I took with my Linhof 4x5 camera. The 127mm Schneider Xenar left a bit to be desired and was replaced with an 121mm Schneider Super Angulan as soon as I could afford it. This is the Yoho River along the Yoho Pass backpack trail which runs from Emerald Lake, BC to Takakaw Falls. I recall having one leg of the headless tripod sitting in the river, and taking about 15 minutes adjusting back and lens swings and tilts to get as much of the image in focus as possible.
Ilford FP4 film Microphen developer.
View attachment 2110019
Before I went to RIT and got into large format photography, I used to get the Linhof Magazine. I was just getting into photography and the photography was fantastic and the photogravure printing was superb. Do you remember the name of that magazine? I have been trying to find it for a long time. My memory just isn't what it used to be. I ended up restoring an older Sinar 4x5 that had been in a fire.
Reservoir B&W.jpeg

One of my first pictures with the Sinar with a 90mm Super Angulon. The back of the lens was so close to the 4x5 film plane, that I had to use a special rubber bellows.
Screen Shot 2022-11-08 at 9.50.29 AM.png

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.