Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skidu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2014
As the days draw shorter as winter approaches, more of our time is spent in what can be classed as 'evening time' - the period after sunset, before bed.

I'm specifically looking for more intimate moments that invoke a sense of feeling or emotion and/or have a element of story telling in there.

This could be something a simple as, a desolate office with a single light on, the life of the city at night or capturing that feeling of a cosy warm evening in.

I'd prefer not to have any sunset, nighttime landscape or astrophotography images thanks.

Here's a personal example that hopefully helps.

11-09_01530-MR_1.jpg

Contest ends November 5th at 12 am (midnight) GMT.

Please remember that these standard rules apply:
  • Do not comment, vote, react or click “like” on images prior to the winners being announced.
  • The photographs must be your own work. In your submission please specify place taken, and if you have a "title" for the photograph specify that also.
  • This contest runs for one week and a day this time. If in doubt, please check the title or description.
  • At the end of the week, The Judge will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible.
  • If the Judge is unable to complete the selection within 48 hours of the deadline, then last week's 2nd place has to step in. 3rd place takes over should 2nd place be similarly unable to officiate.
  • The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create a new theme, after that it defers to 2nd place).
  • Be sure to update the Contest Master List as soon as you post a new theme.

Look forward to seeing what you all come up with!!

Last edited:

lkalliance

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2015
Oops, accidentally posted this to the wrong thread!

Last edited:

tizeye

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
A free concert in the park as part of the Christmas Tree lighting ceremony with displays of Tiffany Glass assembled throughout the park, and closing Park Avenue, making it a pedestrian mall with the downtown shops.
Christmas in Park-2500px-3.jpg

Reactions: thirsty_monk

lkalliance

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2015
@AppleKarma, you'll want to hold off on the likes until the contest is over. You'll find some guidelines in the original post.

Because none of US has EEEEEEVER broken the rules, nosirree, not one. CERTAINLY not I. ;)

(Once the contest ends, though, like away!)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Ish

skidu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2014
Thanks to all who participated. I know the theme was a bit specific but there was a good variety of entries and nice to see people had fun with the story elements.

@TheYayAreaLiving 🎗
Love the lighting here, the windows in the distance and the leading lines really help bring everything together. Would have been nice if the subject was a tad brighter, perhaps bit of editing could really make this photo shine.

@VampyricGentleman lots of interesting elements here but the framing and off axis horizon line makes it appear more like a snapshot I’m afraid. The building facade in the distance would have made a great subject. Perhaps a telephoto shot, flat on highlighting the contrast between the white frame and black windows, with some office lights on/off.

@mollyc simply sublime. I love the sense of intrigue and mystery of this photo which is complemented by the delicate lighting , framing and the expression on the subject. Captured the brief perfectly, well done.

@lkalliance love this, fun quirky pov and creative use of story telling. not much else to say, perhaps a slightly wider angle suggesting something in the distance but then you would lose the dynamic look and dof.

@PhilBoogie looks like a fun evening but too much of a snapshot for me. Perhaps a a lower down, wider angle photo, shooting directly down the table with subjects either side would have made a better composition.

@Jumpthesnark this is fantastic, the emotion from the singer just screams though the image. I really love the framing and perspective , feels like you’re apart of the scene. Side note, looks even better in black and white imo, i dropped the Noir filter on there quickly and it’s stunning.

@Janichsan nice framing and lighting, would have been nice to see some people walking past, perhaps with a slow shutter speed to just add another element to the photo.

@tizeye the red glow coming off the led lighting onto the crown is really interesting. Would have loved to see a 50mm shot for example focussing more on that aspect of the image. Or use the walkway to frame the stage more tightly, currently there’s too many elements going on for me which give the image that ‘snapshot’ feel.

@mtbdudex bokehlicous, love taking photos at Christmas time, they always tend to have that warm, cosy vibe and this photo captures it well.

@oblomow nice contrast between the warm bar light and the dark surroundings. Would be interesting to see a tighter crop into the left to highlight the story of the bartender and the customer.

@cthompson94 love the long exposure and light trails coming off the cars (even though they’re slightly hard to see with the wide fov) doesn’t quite fit the brief of intimate/story telling but visually pleasing nevertheless.

@OldMacs4Me can almost hear the fire crackling if you look at it long enough. Would have loved to see a slighter wider shot showing off that warm glow coming from the fireplace.

3rd place : @TheYayAreaLiving 🎗
2nd place: @Jumpthesnark
1st place: @mollyc

PhilBoogie

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2014
Oooh, another excellent review. Gotta love the bokehlicious! Yes, Molly really nailed it, love that image as well. And many others - too much to describe them all.

I’m really enjoying the photos on this site, especially in these contests. Keep ‘em coming!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.