Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Okay one and all. Lets see your best fight or flight pictures. I was going to just do flight, but thought it might make it more interesting to add the extra fight angle! Could be anything that flies (birds, insects, planes) or something fighting! Bonus point if its doing both at the same time!
  • The photographs must be of your own creation.

• Explore, get creative and have fun with it.

• You may only submit one photo per weekly contest round.

• Please do not comment on any photos until after the judging has taken place.
(think this one has been forgotten of late!)

• The contest runs for one week, starting NOW!

• At the end of the week, The Judge (last week's Winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as they possibly can.

• If the Judge is unable to complete the selection within 48 hours of the deadline for close, then a vote will be carried out to select a winner. This will be based on the number of "likes" each image has. In the event of a draw, the second place winner from the previous week will choose the tiebreaker.

• The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme, after that it defers to 2nd place).

• Winners please update the Weekly Photo Contest Master thread

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/weekly-photo-contest-master-list-2015-tbd.1945331

A couple of examples

_DSC1749 by apple fanboy1, on Flickr

_DSC0641 by apple fanboy1, on Flickr

(sorry don't have any fighting images, but I'm sure you get the idea!)

Have fun!

AllergyDoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2013
Utah, USA
2A9C0BEE-F664-4D83-91A6-5B8E68AFAC84.jpeg

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
Going a little outside the box here. From our trip to Disney World a few years back where my son signed up to do the Padawan training. He was so excited that he'd "cut off" Darth Vader's hand. A little bit of fight and flight here, as he is also jumping off the ground. He loved this so.

FB_August_23_2013_001.jpg

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2013
Our two terriers at play, they look and sound so savage, but love to play-fight together.

Taken with my first camera, the lowly 1100D & the old nifty fifty, which I'd had for a couple of months at this stage and probably wasn't the best combination for this lowlight shot as that is such a slow focusing lens, but was all I had to allow the maximum light in at that time.

Canon 1100D, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Shutter Priority, Centre Weighted Average
ISO 1,600, 50mm, f/1.8, 1/500

_MG_7485.jpg

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Okay folks. Sorry It took so long for the judging. As usual thank you for your entries and remember I’m no pro and these are just my uneducated opinions. Feel free to ignore.

@AllergyDoc

Well certainly fits the fight theme! I’m not a big fan off bull fighting so it is hard for me to love the picture. However the sepia tones fit well. A slightly tighter crop at the top would lose some of the distracting advertising which I think would add to the aged look you were going for.

@Susurs

What a beautiful well timed composition. I’m guessing the background is distracting which is why you went for selective colour? I’m not a fan and would prefer a straight B&W or colour version.

@E3BK

BIF shots are so difficult. The bird flying off is great, but the background is a little bit distracting. But a +1 for fitting the theme. Can’t remember your original photo you switched!

@tizeye

Welcome to the Photo competition. Not sure if I’ve come across one of yours before. Anyway great shot for the theme as you have both flight and fight!

I do love frogs though so that’s a -1! My only criticism is the bird isn’t quite sharp (and I appreciate why!). Other than that very nice.

@Darmok N Jalad

I think if they were flying in a more pronounced V (how and why do they do that?), I’d like this photo more. But again its flight all the way.

@mollyc

You pandering to the fact I’m a BIG SW fan? Anyway love the photo. I have a picture of me at a similar age alongside the real Darth Vader (David Prowse) somewhere. The Force is strong with this one! I might clone out the other kids to leave a better SW theme to add to the composition.

@CmdrLaForge

Yes I think he’d kill you for a French Fry. I think the crop is just a little too tight for me. Could you take it out a notch so his head and beak have some breathing room?

@inkmich

Lovely landscape and BIF shot all in one. It would be nicer if the bird was flying towards you, but they never are, are they? It does feel like it’s leaning a little to the right.

@oblomow

I love a great tit! Looks like he is about to take off. If you had waited a few seconds and got him away from the feeder the composition may have been slightly better. But of course harder to capture!

@Robotti

When I considered the sort of shots that might be posted, I didn’t expect anything like this! Excellent timing on the spinning guy in the centre. Was this set up for a photo shoot with strobes or just great timing? There is some interesting banding on the photo behind the dancers. Might just be the compression, but worth checking your original.

@kenoh

I was convinced you were going to post a picture of Mrs kenoh dragging you fighting and screaming away from the Leica shop!

Love the image. I’d consider losing the straps and that strange thing attached to his tail for a more natural shot. But that’s just me.

@stillcrazyman

I expected more planes! I love the B&W and if it had been a spitfire you’d have got a +2! The sky feels slightly over exposed, but the plane is spot on, so I imagine there isn’t much you could do. You have just the right amount of prop blur in to see the motion.

@cogi0490

I can’t make up my mind if he is taking off, or about to divebomb some poor misfortunate below? I do find the stuff on the left distracting and would consider a tighter crop on the flying bird if resolution allows.

@Alexander.Of.Oz

Dogs. Vicious killers! I’m not sure they are at play! Anyway great shot to show fighting.

@Laird Knox

You get up to some weird stuff on the weekends don’t you? Anyway I like this photo but it’s not flight or fight in my book. More like something out of an S&M magazine! I hope she got let out and your not some sort of serial killer!

@Mark0

I’ll still let you in as I love the photo. BIF are so hard to do. The fact that he is changing direction and you still got the shot is very impressive. Even more impressive if it was your first attempt.

@Donka

The Huey will always be immortalized to me from all those Nam films from back in the day! Anyway lovely example where the PP (added Vignette?) B&W treatment works well. I like the dutch angel as well for interest.

Hope I’ve not offended anyone with my comments. Just how I see things.

So now the tough bit.

The oh so close 3rd place goes to @Mark0 and @kenoh

The secretly wanted by everyone second spot goes to @Robotti and @Alexander.Of.Oz

And the winner is……..

Everyone for taking part!

But if I have to single out a victim,

@tizeye for a perfectly timed shot. Congratulations (or is that commiserations?) as you now have to choses next weeks photo competition!

Over to you!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.