Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Celebion

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2015
Hello,

I'm thinking of buying the new silicone case and Smart Cover for my new iPad Mini 4.

Can anybody tell me the weight of the silicone case and the weight of the Smart Cover?

I like how light the iPad feels. So depending on the weight of the case, I might pick up an Apple case.

Thanks,

Celebion

Wachpy

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2015
I measured the weight of my mini 4 Smart Cover at about 70 grams (2.5oz) on my kitchen scale. I don't have the silicone case, but I'd also love to know how much it weighs because I'm considering picking one up too.

Sorry I could only provide half of the equation here...maybe someone else could pop their silicone case onto a scale and help us both out.

Celebion

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2015
I measured the weight of my mini 4 Smart Cover at about 70 grams (2.5oz) on my kitchen scale.

Thanks so much. I'll definitely get a Smart Cover then. 70 g isn't too bad. And I can take it off easily. Let's hope the case isn't much heavier.

Federik

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2015
Thanks so much. I'll definitely get a Smart Cover then. 70 g isn't too bad. And I can take it off easily. Let's hope the case isn't much heavier.

smartcover plus smart case = +/- 380g (mini 4 wifi+cellular)
smart case mounted only = +/- 320g (mini 4 wifi+cellular)

Celebion

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2015
So, the Silicone case and Smart Cover arrived today.

The Smart Cover weighs 70 g
The Silicone Case weighs 60 g

In total, my iPad Mini 4 Cellular weighs 434 g

Celebion

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2015
I have to, say am pretty disappointed. for € 114 I expected perfect fit. However, the Smart Cover laps over by a mm on the right. On the top and bottom it is missing about 1.5 mm each.

I've attached some photos for anybody who is interested in buying the Silicone Case/Smart Cover combo.

Attachments

• iPad-1.jpg
    iPad-1.jpg
    316.5 KB · Views: 266
  • iPad-2.jpg
    iPad-2.jpg
    279.2 KB · Views: 274
  • iPad-3.jpg
    iPad-3.jpg
    314 KB · Views: 222

Wachpy

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2015
How do you feel about the weight of the Mini 4 while you're holding it with just the silicone case on it? It looks like the case brings the Mini 4's weight above the weight of a naked Mini 2/3, which I remember felt ever-so-slightly more unwieldy than my Mini 1. Do you feel that the case adds enough extra grip and protection to be worth the added weight?

As far as the smart cover, mine also overhangs a bit on the right, which I felt was probably a design decision to make it easier to peel it back. I also noticed that the Mini 4 smart cover is somewhat thicker/more plush than the Mini 1 cover and has much, much stronger magnets. Here's some pics of my Mini 1 smart cover vs. Mini 4 smart cover as far as the thickness and overhang.

IMG_2348.jpg IMG_2347.jpg IMG_2346.jpg IMG_2345.jpg IMG_2350.jpg IMG_2349.jpg

Reactions: asleep

Celebion

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2015
The iPad still feels light with just the silicone case attached. Plus, the rubbery texture makes for a better hold. The protection is also pretty good. All the edges are covered and the case overhangs the iPad front by 2 mm or so. So when you put it on a table face down, it won't get scratches on the screen.

I'm actually quite impressed by the Smart Covers sturdiness. I had an iPad 2 with a Smart Cover before this Mini and the iPad was prone to tip over backwards when I used the touchscreen. This new Smart Cover however keeps it securely in a standing position. The magnets are great, too.
Just the price is a let down.

jrs22

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2012
My mini 4 wifi feels so light in the Smart Cover/case combo that I weighed it and compared it to my iPad Air in a speck durafolio. On my food scale it's 429 grams vs 750 grams.

As for the fit of the cover - on mine it sits just up against the protective rim of the case. I suspect that if it was any bigger it would protrude if used alone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.