Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I bought a mini a couple years ago for using in bed, but wound up giving it to my grandson. I wind up using my phone just because I have the Loopy case, and it makes it easy to hold, even though it’s smaller and not really conducive to reading.

Considering a mini again, but wondering whether I should just get the max phone this fall instead.

Wondering about the weight and balance of weight between the phone/iPad mini. Obviously the phone is smaller, but how is the weight distributed compared to the mini? Do you find it easier to use one or the other when lying in bed? I know I’d have a Loopy case on the phone - not sure what my options are for making the mini easier to grip.

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
Cary, NC - My Name is Rob Bond
Don't know if this helps, but I don't have the Mini. Sometimes a visual can help put it in perspective.

iPhone 13 Pro Max and iPad Mini.jpg

Reactions: ssledoux

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
I prefer the weight distribution of the 13 Pro Max than the 13 Pro, but this is subject to change based on future revisions. The new iPad Mini is a good balance but not as good as the previous generation IMO.

In bed, I tend to read with my phone on my chest and the Mini was too big for that so guess it just depends on where you hold you phone when you're doing what you want. I prefer the Pro Max over the Mini 6 but I prefer the Mini 5 over the 13 Pro Max ha.

Reactions: ssledoux

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I bought a mini a couple years ago for using in bed, but wound up giving it to my grandson. I wind up using my phone just because I have the Loopy case, and it makes it easy to hold, even though it’s smaller and not really conducive to reading.

Considering a mini again, but wondering whether I should just get the max phone this fall instead.

Wondering about the weight and balance of weight between the phone/iPad mini. Obviously the phone is smaller, but how is the weight distributed compared to the mini? Do you find it easier to use one or the other when lying in bed? I know I’d have a Loopy case on the phone - not sure what my options are for making the mini easier to grip.

I have the Mini 6 and the 12 Pro Max and much prefer using the Mini over the phone for everything other than phone calls. I don't find the weight or balancing of the Mini to be problematic and use it for reading in bed. I prefer landscape mode so a case makes balancing a moot point.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Bare in mind that the 13 Pro Max is more than double the cost of an Ipad Mini 6 if your just using it in bed!

Maybe consider trading in your 13 Pro for a Pro Max? Thats what id do anyway, then you got your phone and bed multimedia device all in one :).

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Bare in mind that the 13 Pro Max is more than double the cost of an Ipad Mini 6 if your just using it in bed!

Maybe consider trading in your 13 Pro for a Pro Max? Thats what id do anyway, then you got your phone and bed multimedia device all in one :).

Oh yeah - I definitely wouldn’t buy it as a second phone. I‘ll just have to wait until the fall to have the max phone because I would wait on the 14, whereas if I go with the mini I’d order that now.

I’ve also considered buying a Kindle, but there are other things I could do with the mini besides just read a book - the Kindle I’m limited to strictly reading.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
As a former long time Pro/Max iPhone user, I strongly prefer using the iPad Mini. I also find carrying around a Pro/Max iPhone to be rather cumbersome over time. Hence why I have an iPhone Mini now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.