Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SammyNad

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2016
Toronto
I'm considering the Apple Watch (sport), but first need to understand if any 3rd party gym/weightlifting apps are able to use the watch sensors. Some articles say yes, others say no.

Are there any gym apps that can use Apple sensors? If so, does the data collected from the app count towards your overall calorie burn on the Watch i.e. circles of health, etc?

Can you please suggest any gym/weightlifting apps that you meet the above criteria? Thanks so much.

BlueMoon63

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2015
I'm considering the Apple Watch (sport), but first need to understand if any 3rd party gym/weightlifting apps are able to use the watch sensors. Some articles say yes, others say no.

Are there any gym apps that can use Apple sensors? If so, does the data collected from the app count towards your overall calorie burn on the Watch i.e. circles of health, etc?

Can you please suggest any gym/weightlifting apps that you meet the above criteria? Thanks so much.
Fitness builder is the app I use and have for years. I normally use the iPhone app but now I start the app on the phone and use the watch to track reps and sets and rest. I activate the workout app on the watch to track calories and heart rate and the fitness builder to track my workout. Both write the the health app and I never have to open my phone to enter stats and I am listening to my music on Bluetooth headphones. It's great!

SilverDove

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2016
I downloaded Fitness Builder and it looks promising. However, you can't use it without having the phone present. Does anyone know of a weight lifting app that you can track workouts (exercises, weight, & reps) sans phone?

Last edited:

menace3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Seattle, WA
I downloaded Fitness Builder and it looks promising. However, you can't use it without having the phone present. Does anyone know of a weight lifting app that you can track workouts (exercises, weight, & reps) sans phone?

Going to check it out. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.