Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
The article said that the police 'were able to track the AirTag'. Granted, articles are often wrong (or totally correct), but how could they, the owner, transfer the AirTag to police, or share the identity of it. Did they drive around with the owner in the backseat? It just sounds weird.

Can a third party track an AirTag? People figured out how to track those Nike+ shoe pods years ago. Those things did not broadcast a large signal but I don't know the particulars of them and their capability, even though I had several. (I actually found a new one in the sealed Apple/Nike box. DOH!!

Tracking AirTags? Would a Bluetooth sniffer really be able to track one? I guess I'll have to experiment...

Assuming this is the incident you're referring to. The owner tracked her AirTag and informed the police of its location.

A Pennsylvania woman recovered over 100 political campaign yard signs for Democratic candidates in a dumpster behind a restaurant on Wednesday morning, with some help from an Apple AirTag.

Local police believe a resident had put the tracking device on a sign—perhaps anticipating that it might be stolen—and anonymously called to inform them of its location.

Reactions: chabig

AsherN

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2016
Canada
Sure, in your case it worked. I guess it does help but you would have to wait for all of the baggage to be unloaded and then open a case and see if they can find your bag and actually get it to you.

Back, years ago, a friend of a friend detailed a trip they did where their bag was lost early on their outgoing itinerary and the airline forwarded the bag back to their actual home! They even delivered it to their door. They were obviously happy their bag was found but understandably pissed that it ended up AT THEIR HOUSE, and not forwarded to their destination. They had a neighbor go retrieve it and deliver it to the local airport where they refused to accept it because 'we don't carry unaccompanied baggage'. They were furious! Then they got the 'generous' stipend for 'lost luggage' after arguing with the carrier, which barely paid for underwear! It was a business trip so all of their suits were in that bag. The airline finally agreed to get that bag to them, but it had to be delivered to one of their hubs for some bizarre reason. Sure, a neighbor is going to drive HOURS to get someones luggage to the hub airport just to get it back to their neighbor. What a disaster. And a very expensive trip!
You don't have to wait. I just showed the agent the track and they processed the claim immediately.

Reactions: PinkyMacGodess

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
Malcolm Gladwell’s notion in the paradox of choice

On your Gladwell reference

I follow marketing, consumer behavior, and behavioral finance closely. The Paradox Of Choice concept actually stems from a 2004 book and TED talk by Barry Schwartz. Malcolm Gladwell did give a related TED talk in 2004 as well, but it was much more limited in scope.

Back to the topic at hand...I find AirTags useful in checked luggage at transfer points, especially when making connections at Canadian airports with pre-clearance for entering the USA, and at destinations. I don't tend to check the location of my bags when departing or in-flight because any information, correct or incorrect, isn't actionable for me. However, if I have a window seat with a view of the bag loading operations on the ramp, I'll try to spot my bags coming onto the plane (I'm a bag-oholic and a lot of my bags are an obnoxious color so that they're easy to spot at baggage claim).

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
... if I have a window seat with a view of the bag loading operations on the ramp, I'll try to spot my bags coming onto the plane (I'm a bag-oholic and a lot of my bags are an obnoxious color so that they're easy to spot at baggage claim).

Talking about 'too much information'...

I was on a flight and a couple of 'hunter types' were sitting right behind me watching the bags being loaded. One excitedly smacks the guy at the aisle seat and says 'DUDE! THEY DROPPED YOUR GUN!!'. He jumps up and tells the flight attendant that they may have damaged his gun. She shrugs and asks him if he wants to check on it. He says Yes. She says, that's not possible the doors are closed. Oh well...

• Haha
Reactions: msackey

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
Talking about 'too much information'...

I was on a flight and a couple of 'hunter types' were sitting right behind me watching the bags being loaded. One excitedly smacks the guy at the aisle seat and says 'DUDE! THEY DROPPED YOUR GUN!!'. He jumps up and tells the flight attendant that they may have damaged his gun. She shrugs and asks him if he wants to check on it. He says Yes. She says, that's not possible the doors are closed. Oh well...
This made me laugh.

Yup, information that’s not actionable. Only increases probability of anxiety. I say just forget about that extra info and relax into life.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
This made me laugh.

Yup, information that’s not actionable. Only increases probability of anxiety. I say just forget about that extra info and relax into life.

And they steamed over that for a good part of the flight. It was on a 'flying cesspool' regional jet, and they were plotting how to sue Delta if the gun was damaged. They also weren't appreciative of the offer to have the plane cleared of luggage so they could determine if the gun was okay (the poor gun, in a heavily padded locked case).

Yeah, it was funny. I've watched loaders throwing bags around, and watched as bags fell off the portable conveyors. Once, I didn't have a view of the action, someone commented that a bag fell of the lift and popped open. Yikes, the thought of my undies blowing across the apron and tarmac at the airport. Hah!

More information can be too much information pretty quickly, and buy secure luggage! Maybe drop test it fully loaded?

Last edited:
Reactions: msackey

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
And they steamed over that for a good part of the flight. It was on a 'flying cesspool' regional jet, and they were plotting how to sue Delta if the gun was damaged. They also weren't appreciative of the offer to have the plane cleared of luggage so they could determine if the gun was okay (the poor gun, in a heavily padded locked case).

Yeah, it was funny. I've watched loaders throwing bags around, and watched as bags fell off the portable conveyors. Once, I didn't have a view of the action, someone commented that a bag fell of the lift and popped open. Yikes, the thought of my undies blowing across the apron and tarmac at the airport. Hah!

More information can be too much information pretty quickly, and buy secure luggage? Maybe drop test it fully loaded?
Thanks for sharing the funny story (well, funny from an outsider perspective like me, and probably not funny to those experiencing it at the moment). Indeed, crap does happen from time to time to checked baggage. But then, also consider how many bags go through these systems with no problems. *shrug*

Reactions: PinkyMacGodess

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Thanks for sharing the funny story (well, funny from an outsider perspective like me, and probably not funny to those experiencing it at the moment). Indeed, crap does happen from time to time to checked baggage. But then, also consider how many bags go through these systems with no problems. *shrug*

I can't feel anything for those that pay tens of thousands of dollars for really insanely expensive bags that get scratched.

I once got an email advertising 'indestructible luggage for today's air traveler' that went on and on about the damage inflicted by 'gorilla air carrier baggage handlers'. They also mentioned it was 'reasonably priced'. Intrigued, I checked it out. It was nearly quarter inch thick aluminum CASES, think Star Cases that musicians use for their concert tours! They likely weighed so much that they heavily subtracted from your weight allowance (but having flown first a few times, they sneer at those rules).

Yeah... I did see a Tumi carbon fiber suitcase at TJ Maxx once too. I joked to the wife that I would only buy it only if they had all the other pieces, which they didn't. It was still, at TJ Maxx, priced at almost $400. But I would love to own it and have someone steal it full of stinky post vacation undies because a bag like that says:

STEAL ME!! I HAVE THE FAMILY JEWELS AND CASH INSIDE!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.