Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zabijemsnv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2024
Hello,

I currently switched from 12 Pro to 13. I thought battery was an issue on my 12 Pro because i was only getting about 3-5 SOT but when i switched to 13 with 88% battery it stayed the same. But now i have given my phone to my sister which happens to get 7 hours of SOT on the that 12 Pro (playing games). I tried reseting my ip 13 throught settings and itunes (reinstalling ios) and i still get 4-5 hours sot. All my friends who own 13 got 6+ sot. They use 5G all of the time and they havent tweaked anything soo everything is default with backround app refresh.

I want to find fix for this, could be sim card or an app reponsible for this? Since everything was reinstalled sim card was only thing i took from the old phone.

Here is my battery chart from ip 13:

Its 3 days since reinstalling it with itunes soo there isnt as much data but i went about week just to see if it will get fixed by itself but doesnt seem like ( i heard something that iphone needs few days to optimize its battery usage).

Attachments

• IMG_0013.png
    IMG_0013.png
    301.8 KB · Views: 91

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
Hello,

I currently switched from 12 Pro to 13. I thought battery was an issue on my 12 Pro because i was only getting about 3-5 SOT but when i switched to 13 with 88% battery it stayed the same. But now i have given my phone to my sister which happens to get 7 hours of SOT on the that 12 Pro (playing games). I tried reseting my ip 13 throught settings and itunes (reinstalling ios) and i still get 4-5 hours sot. All my friends who own 13 got 6+ sot. They use 5G all of the time and they havent tweaked anything soo everything is default with backround app refresh.

I want to find fix for this, could be sim card or an app reponsible for this? Since everything was reinstalled sim card was only thing i took from the old phone.

Here is my battery chart from ip 13:

Its 3 days since reinstalling it with itunes soo there isnt as much data but i went about week just to see if it will get fixed by itself but doesnt seem like ( i heard something that iphone needs few days to optimize its battery usage).
I'm not so sure the simcard could be the cause of this, I guess if its very old then maybe. You could always contact your provider and as for a new.

Does your sister have a very different usage pattern than you, things like not using the same wifi, different cellular provider, more on cellular than on Wifi or using totally different apps?

You say things are reinstalled, but did you start fresh or use an iCloud backup?
If you did you inherit lots of old settings, apps, connected devices, network settings and so on and all of these can contribute to battery and/or performance issues.
What type of peripherals are you using with your device? Is you sister using roughly the same?
Do you sync your device to other Apple products?

Have you deleted any of the default apps that comes with the phone, there is an old bug that I assume is solved (but you never know) that made the phone consume more battery if the fitness app was uninstalled even of you didn't use it.

What iOS version are you using?

zabijemsnv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2024
I'm not so sure the simcard could be the cause of this, I guess if its very old then maybe. You could always contact your provider and as for a new.

Does your sister have a very different usage pattern than you, things like not using the same wifi, different cellular provider, more on cellular than on Wifi or using totally different apps?

You say things are reinstalled, but did you start fresh or use an iCloud backup?
If you did you inherit lots of old settings, apps, connected devices, network settings and so on and all of these can contribute to battery and/or performance issues.
What type of peripherals are you using with your device? Is you sister using roughly the same?
Do you sync your device to other Apple products?

Have you deleted any of the default apps that comes with the phone, there is an old bug that I assume is solved (but you never know) that made the phone consume more battery if the fitness app was uninstalled even of you didn't use it.

What iOS version are you using?
I restored my phone with icloud backup, she doesnt use cellural but even if i dont its pretty bad. She use it a lot playing games, texting, much more than me. I use airpods sometimes with my phone but no other BT devices. I also use macbook imessages fowarding but i dont think that is an issue.

For the fitness app i use it pretty often so i wouldnt say that is an issue earlier.

I have the newest 17.3.1

Soo what should i do? Should i reinstall the phone once again but instead of restoring setting i should set it up as brand new? I feel like there isnt much settings in iphone overal so i dont know if that will help because i checked all of the recommended settings.

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
I restored my phone with icloud backup, she doesnt use cellural but even if i dont its pretty bad. She use it a lot playing games, texting, much more than me. I use airpods sometimes with my phone but no other BT devices. I also use macbook imessages fowarding but i dont think that is an issue.

For the fitness app i use it pretty often so i wouldnt say that is an issue earlier.

I have the newest 17.3.1

Soo what should i do? Should i reinstall the phone once again but instead of restoring setting i should set it up as brand new? I feel like there isnt much settings in iphone overal so i dont know if that will help because i checked all of the recommended settings.
Since it isn't "that" bad and the phone is usable I would personally take a step by step approach to see if I can find whats causing the problem.

There could be a number of things and since the 13 seems to be doing fine with 17 both in terms of performance and battery I would look at a few things but on a step by step approach. Here's a few ideas.

1. Network (WiFi) there can be a number of things that's communicating with your device. So try and "reset network settings and also have a look in "Local network" (se link below) and disable all what's listed there.

While you are at it, delete apps you don't use.

Check and see for a few days if there any any improvement.

2. Still no improvement, use airplane mode for one night. Any difference?

There can be a number of other things of course, maybe you are running a VPN client, antivirus software or some other things that can cause this. Have a look at your sisters phone and compare apps ans settings.
Are you connecting to different networks (your sis might be using 2.4ghz and you 5ghz or vice versa)?
After resetting your network settings don't add any new Wifi network for one night and see if that makes any difference.

Let us know how it goes, I can only imagine there's more people like you out there with similar issues.

Last edited:

zabijemsnv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2024
Soo today i got about 6 hours of SOT, i tried deleting some of the apps. I also did reset on network settings. The drain doesnt really appear when idle, the phone just doesnt last as other people 13's around me . It might be som icloud issue because it got transfered over to my new phone. One friend of mine doesnt know anything about phones and he got every single analytics turned on and it goes up to 10 hours. You mentioned to start from scratch, i have now time to try it but my question is. Should i wait since its only 3 days from itunes restore? I mean if the battery can better after time or it should be already working as intended. And if i restore and ignore icloud backup will the passwords and contacts sync up withou apps data and settings?

zabijemsnv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2024
Since it isn't "that" bad and the phone is usable I would personally take a step by step approach to see if I can find whats causing the problem.

There could be a number of things and since the 13 seems to be doing fine with 17 both in terms of performance and battery I would look at a few things but on a step by step approach. Here's a few ideas.

1. Network (WiFi) there can be a number of things that's communicating with your device. So try and "reset network settings and also have a look in "Local network" (se link below) and disable all what's listed there.

While you are at it, delete apps you don't use.

Check and see for a few days if there any any improvement.

2. Still no improvement, use airplane mode for one night. Any difference?

There can be a number of other things of course, maybe you are running a VPN client, antivirus software or some other things that can cause this. Have a look at your sisters phone and compare apps ans settings.
Are you connecting to different networks (your sis might be using 2.4ghz and you 5ghz or vice versa)?
After resetting your network settings don't add any new Wifi network for one night and see if that makes any difference.

Let us know how it goes, I can only imagine there's more people like you out there with similar issues.
Hi,

As i said i did reset on the phone yesterday and skipped icloud backup option, but that created another issue. All my imessage messages are in icloud not the phone and i dont know how to download them back. I can find them when i search for them in the app but there is only 500mb of messages on my phone a othee 20Gb on icloud. I upgraded my icloud to 200gb just to make it easier trying to restore it but i would like to download them back to phone, downgrade my icloud plan and let some of them be synced on icloud as it did before. Do i need to create backup and restore my phone AGAIN???

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
Hi,

As i said i did reset on the phone yesterday and skipped icloud backup option, but that created another issue. All my imessage messages are in icloud not the phone and i dont know how to download them back. I can find them when i search for them in the app but there is only 500mb of messages on my phone a othee 20Gb on icloud. I upgraded my icloud to 200gb just to make it easier trying to restore it but i would like to download them back to phone, downgrade my icloud plan and let some of them be synced on icloud as it did before. Do i need to create backup and restore my phone AGAIN???
I've never used iMessage in the cloud so don't have much more to suggest than wait until it all syncs or force a sync.
Check the article below.

I have seen a few articles regarding if icloud/imessage don't work that you can disable and enable it or do a force restart, not sure if that helps or can be applied for this case

Edit: Forgot to comment on your wanting to offload icloud and downgrade.
I'm guessing there is way to do this if you only want to use Imessage on one device, maybe the Apple support or Apple forums can point you in the right direction there.

Last edited:

zabijemsnv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2024
Hello,

Just wanted to update you on the whole situation maybe for people who are experiencing similar situation.

I did factory reset through itunes which basically reinstaled ios not only wiped user created files.

For the first 2-3 days, i saw no improvement.

I had issue with imessage not syncing so i performed it again.

After 5-6 days after second reinstallation, im from 3-4 sot on 6-7 soo almost doubled, using 5G a lot, airpods, find my sharing my location. That is pretty respectable form 87% battery health.

Not sure what could be the issue but it somehow fixed itself, i thing factory reset did its thing. I guess it needed some time to settle, it has soul like italian car.

Reactions: Reverend Benny

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
Hello,

Just wanted to update you on the whole situation maybe for people who are experiencing similar situation.

I did factory reset through itunes which basically reinstaled ios not only wiped user created files.

For the first 2-3 days, i saw no improvement.

I had issue with imessage not syncing so i performed it again.

After 5-6 days after second reinstallation, im from 3-4 sot on 6-7 soo almost doubled, using 5G a lot, airpods, find my sharing my location. That is pretty respectable form 87% battery health.

Not sure what could be the issue but it somehow fixed itself, i thing factory reset did its thing. I guess it needed some time to settle, it has soul like italian car.
Great input :)
And yes, all Italian vehicles has a soul (Tuono V4 owner) and it somehow makes up for the bad quality ;-)

• Love
Reactions: zabijemsnv
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.