Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elptdbi3lYI

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2021
Ok my case with Apple was now open for almost 11 months and is presumably coming to an end.
Latest assumption: Probably due to Universal Control, Apple intentionally added ~50% additional delay for input devices.
This affects the internal trackpad as well as a Magic Mouse.
Ventura has the exact same additional delay as Monterey.
In comparison to Big Sur, it takes the mouse pointer ~50% longer to respond to input.
Disabling Universal Control has no effect.
For my workflow and usage this is just unacceptable and I'm downgrading back to Big Sur.
Lucky are those who don't notice...

Just two numbers:
Big Sur and Magic Mouse: ~42 ms delay
Monterey and internal Trackpad: ~83 ms delay
(100% reproducible btw.)
I can't reproduce with normal (logitech) mouse, did you already make conclusion that it only happens with apple pointing devices or am I missing something?

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
I can't reproduce with normal (logitech) mouse, did you already make conclusion that it only happens with apple pointing devices or am I missing something?
Thanks, a good point I hadn't thought of. Just tested a MX Vertical but it makes no difference.
I re-tested all combinations and got the same results.
I can only imagine most users simply don't notice the additional delay but I deem it unlikely in regard of the extent (at least with the internal trackpad).
It's the worst when switching from my Mac Pro to my MacBook Pro as the delay is doubled (see attached values).
(I got the estimated values by slo-mo recording my screen and my mouse/finger movement. Then counted the frames from first mouse/finger movement to first pointer movement)

Attachments

• Mouse.Pointer.Delay.png
    Mouse.Pointer.Delay.png
    89.2 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

elptdbi3lYI

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2021
Thanks, a good point I hadn't thought of. Just tested a MX Vertical but it makes no difference.
I re-tested all combinations and got the same results.
I can only imagine most users simply don't notice the additional delay but I deem it unlikely in regard of the extent.
It's the worst when switching from my Mac Pro to my MacBook Pro as the delay is doubled (see attached values).
(I got the estimated values by slo-mo recording my screen and my mouse/finger movement. Then counted the frames from first mouse/finger movement to first pointer movement)
Oh, 12ms difference I might not notice, but if it would look as horrible, as in the video you posted previously, while using mouse, I definitely would. I did a bunch of drags in bursts and mouse stayed within toolbar.

Reactions: arw

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
the latest ventura 13.6.3 seems to have made the acceleration a bit better/responsive. Abit early to tell still but already feels different

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.