Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Satanic Goat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2009
Posting on here, as struggling to find what the issue might be. I’m on holiday in the US. Wife is on o2, me EE, we’re both roaming via AT&T. With exact same 5g signal. She has a 14 pro max, i have a 15 pro max.

Whilst at hotel, everything is working fine and quick. We went to Hollywood Studios, the other day and Magic Kingdom today. My phone is working as it should, instant maps, social media etc. Hers, pages are taking ages to load, Disney app isn’t working like it should can’t download pics, I have to keep doing it via mine, which seems daft. Both our devices, are showing full 5g.

I have rebooted her phone, and reset the network settings and it’s still the same. Anyone got any ideas, that might help?

acorntoy

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2010
Sounds like the network is throttling her connection to let other users on the network maintain high speeds in a busy environment (the parks). Do you know the specifics of her plans roaming allowances? I wouldn't be surprised if hers has "In times of high congestion speeds may be lower" in the fine print while yours does not.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
There are different data prioritization policies for carriers.

An MNVO and resellers won't have the same traffic priority as the actual network operator.

Satanic Goat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2009
Thanks both, that’s really helpful. I’ll do some digging. Didn’t even cross my mind.

Satanic Goat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 31, 2009
Didn’t have to do any digging. Just spoke to her. When she added the data roaming last week, they told her they would slow it down in events or parks. She just never thought about it, or mentioned it to me, till now! Mystery solved. Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.