Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bscheffel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
starting a few days ago, I've been getting a weird ad overlay that changes at the bottom of the mobile MR site (see screenshot). Are others getting this or do I get some sort of adware virus on my iPhone? I have NO safari extension enabled and it is happening in that browser as well as chrome per the screen shot.

Attachments

• MacRumors Apple News and Rumors.jpeg
    MacRumors Apple News and Rumors.jpeg
    216.2 KB · Views: 130

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Those bottom ads have been there for quite some time, though that one's a little different from most in that there's some transparency to it.

But as long as you're logged in to the forums while browsing the site, you shouldn't see those bottom ads as far as I know (and appears to be the case in my testing).

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Those bottom ads have been there for quite some time, though that one's a little different from most in that there's some transparency to it.
That's a pretty huge problem IMO, it's extremely misleading. It could potentially trick users into accidentally clicking the ad when they thought they were clicking something below it, just like in that example screenshot.

Could you guys do something about that, maybe add an opaque background to your ad wrappers in case this is going to keep being an issue?

BadMacRumours

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2022
Toronto, Ontario
That's a pretty huge problem IMO, it's extremely misleading. It could potentially trick users into accidentally clicking the ad when they thought they were clicking something below it, just like in that example screenshot.

Could you guys do something about that, maybe add an opaque background to your ad wrappers in case this is going to keep being an issue?
Funnily enough, the screenshot you posted is technically against Google Ad guidelines. MacRumours adding a coloured wrapper is required at this point for them to comply with Google guidelines.

It's crazy that Google even allows transparent ads considering their own rules regarding UI design.

Yet I get my app demonetized for my ads being too close to a button

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.