Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paulypants

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 17, 2003
Buffalo, NY
I've had a few weird issues lately:

Logging into account--begins to log in, see desktop, menu bar and dock load, but then screen goes blue and logs me back out to login screen automatically. Have to login again. Also had a kernel panic when waking from sleep to login window. I had Winswitch and JewelCase installed (iTunes was in starup items), I removed them and that hasn't happened since.

On a recent login updating prebinding took 15 minutes

Some app quits (not many), but Quicktime and Preview take long time to open now out of nowhere...

While using Illustrator yesterday I noticed that my minimized windows and my Illustrator dock icon were to the right of the trash, I couldn't move them to the left. I tried relaunching the Finder several times, but no go...had to restart.

In Photoshop, if I click from a photoshop window to a finder window quickly the finder window disappears...

Now I have repared permissions, disk, run cron scripts, reset NVRAM and PRAM, run fsck, and run techtool pro and apple hardware test

None of these problems existed before I added a gig of RAM from Crucial, so do these sound like RAM issues, if so, then why do the hardware tests and techtool pro say RAM is ok? And if it is the RAM, then why are the problems not frequent?

Thanks.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
What you are experiencing are the classic symptoms of intermittently bad RAM. This is characterized by strange freezes, delays, or crashes that don't occur consistently; diagnosis tools reporting that nothing is wrong, reporting errors during the testing process but otherwise saying nothing is wrong, or sometimes reporting trouble, sometimes not; and more problems occuring when more applications are open.

Odds are your new RAM is going bad briefly, but returning to normal quickly enough that the system doesn't fail outright. This situation is highly frustrating, to say the least, until you realize that the RAM is causing the problem. Try taking it out and see if the issues stop.

paulypants

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 17, 2003
Buffalo, NY
Thanks for the reply, makes a lot of sense and is what I was suspecting, but I have never experienced it before. I think I will take it out and call crucial...

paulypants

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 17, 2003
Buffalo, NY
Okay, called Crucial and they will replace, but if I have problems again I'll return for refund and just bite the bullet and buy Apple ram :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.