Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yentl_K

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2021
Hi all,

Yesterday I downloaded flash player (which I now know is a stupid thing to do) and ever since I get these weird pop ups on my Home Screen, saying 'Downloading new updates' and 'download failed' which don't seem to be valid, see the photos. Does anybody know what this is? And more important: How I can get rid of it? Thank you in advance

Screenshot 2021-01-15 at 10.49.25.png
Screenshot 2021-01-15 at 11.00.48.png

jezzastern

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2008
Hi all,

Yesterday I downloaded flash player (which I now know is a stupid thing to do) and ever since I get these weird pop ups on my Home Screen, saying 'Downloading new updates' and 'download failed' which don't seem to be valid, see the photos. Does anybody know what this is? And more important: How I can get rid of it? Thank you in advance

View attachment 1713212 View attachment 1713213
Have you tried downloading and running the Flash remover from Adobe. This may fix your problems, if they are related to a genuine Flash installation. Where did you get the Flash player from? Are you certain that it was the genuine Adobe Flash and not Malware?

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
Flash is dead. You cannot install it. From January 12, Adobe has blocked all content from running on Flash Player.

Adobe has removed all download links for Flash from their site, so if you downloaded it it's probably not a legitimate installer. You very well might have installed malware.

I'd recommend giving the free version of Malwarebytes a go but if you did actually download a legitimate installer, the update window kind of makes sense because it definitely wouldn't be able to download updates for End-of-Life software. At the very least, uninstall Flash.

Reactions: Unsupported

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Methinks you might have "downloaded" something OTHER THAN flash.

I suggest you download and run Malwarebytes:

IMPORTANT:
Select the "home" option.
It's a FREE download

IMPORTANT:
You DO NOT NEED TO BUY A SUBSCRIPTION to run MalwareBytes.
It will run FOREVER IN FREE MODE.

When you open it, IGNORE the button to "Upgrade Now" or "Activate License".
Just click "Scan".
Again, you DO NOT have to buy the pay-for version!

Reactions: Unsupported

Unsupported

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2020
a land far, far away...
Methinks you might have "downloaded" something OTHER THAN flash.

I suggest you download and run Malwarebytes:

IMPORTANT:
Select the "home" option.
It's a FREE download

IMPORTANT:
You DO NOT NEED TO BUY A SUBSCRIPTION to run MalwareBytes.
It will run FOREVER IN FREE MODE.

When you open it, IGNORE the button to "Upgrade Now" or "Activate License".
Just click "Scan".
Again, you DO NOT have to buy the pay-for version!

I just tried Malwarebytes and it seemed to scan very few files, which files I know not.

I use VirusBarrier Scanner.app available free from the App Store. It seems to have more options of what to scan and it updates definitions every time it's launched. Just drag and dropping the HD onto it scans the entire HD.

I have no idea what Malwarebytes scans as it does it so quickly and shows so few files scanned...

Unsupported

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2020
a land far, far away...
Hi all,

Yesterday I downloaded flash player (which I now know is a stupid thing to do)

Not wishing to be rude or rub salt into the wound, but yes, it was a stupid thing to do.

Where did you download from?

Was it as a result of a popup urging you to do so while visiting a website? In which case it is most likely malware.

You can't have downloaded it from Adobe because it's discontinued, and even if you already had it installed you wouldn't have been advised to upgrade.

If you really have to run old Flash files you can use https://ruffle.rs/

Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.