Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

r0ck3tm4n

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2020
Hi!
I'd been having a few troubles with a MBP 17 inches A1261. It turns on just fine, and it works OK, but when you try to resume it from sleep, if you try to open some app or even just the apple menu inmediately after, it turns off and then turns on but like dead (No chime, no picture, fans at min rpm). I need to unplug it and plug it again and then it starts fine. It keeps working after resuming if you wait like 30 secs for it to "heat up" and then it doesn't crash. I know about the faulty GPU on this computers, but it had been replaced with the revised chip (G84-603-A2) by the previous owner, so IDK what's happening. Everything else works flawlessly, temps are OK (45-55° C), I had put it under furmark for like 2 hours and no crashes, and being idle works OK too.

Hope someone can help me to figure out this

Thanks in advance

r0ck3tm4n

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2020
Which OS? How much RAM? 17" MBP came with 4GB option which would be very swappy by now
The OS I have currently installed is Mojave with dosdude1's patch, but tried Lion and Catalina with same results. Seems like software is not the fault here. And I have 4GB installed (2x2GB), but also tried other sticks and still happens. The amount of ram should not be the problem since I tried resuming with nothing more than finder running and it crashes too, even with Lion

brianmowrey

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2020
Tried other sticks as in 8/16 GB or still 4GB? I had a lot of problems, and could never last a minute after startup in green memory pressure even doing "just Finder" on 4GB after Mavericks, and had some wake fails. In the end my only regret was not upgrading from 4GB sooner. 2nd gen 17" MBP will probably be fine exceeding specs to 16; my 13" is having no trouble. You can search out your own advice on the issue.

OTOH, if you've already done memory swaps as a testing method, your sleep/wake issue might simply be in need of SMC/P/NVRAM resets (with firmware password removed) if you haven't done already.

After that, probably time to reinstall OS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.