Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shacklebolt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 2, 2004
So, I have connected my MBP to my 26" 720p/1080i HDTV using a DVI-->HDMI adapter. It works well, as is to be expected.

However, when I unplug the MBP, and plug my PS3 back into my television's HDMI port... I only get audio, no video. When I switch back to my MBP, the television works fine. Switching back to PS3, again, no video.

Does hooking up a MBP to a 3rd party display via HDMI ... you know, mess stuff up? Anyone have any experience with this, or any advice as to how to fix it?

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
Hold the power button on the PlayStation3 console for 5 seconds until you hear a beep.

It will reset it to 480i, and then you can readjust from there.

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
That's just turning the thing off. not helping.

Err, do it when its turned off. This will turn it on and reset it to 480i.

If it still isnt functioning, try a different port or cable, or a different TV/monitor. If the problem still exists, you may have a hardware issue with your PlayStation3 console, and should consult Sony, or your retailer if you have an extended contract.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
oh man. brilliant. thanks.

A sure way to cycle the HDMI connection is to turn off both devices, unplug the HDMI cable, wait about 10 seconds, plug it back in on both ends, turn on the TV, and then turn on the PS3. By 'turn on and turn off' I mean the actual power switch on the back of the PS3, not just the standby button on the front.

Basically, the devices then go 'Oh, hi.' and re-handshake. As long as neither of the devices is defective, things should work properly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.