Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

woolypants

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2018
I've been experiencing a weird scrolling "thing".

Basically, after I've scrolled using the trackpad and just as I lift my fingers, the MBP will scroll a little more. It jumps up or down a few more lines. It's not a huge thing and initially I wondered if I was imagining it. But I have now identified it as a thing. I can't find a way to replicate it though. It just seems to happen sometimes.

I've checked trackpad settings including under accessibility, and can't find anything odd or unusual. Never tried using a mouse with this particular MBP so have no idea if it happens there.

mfram

Contributor
Jan 23, 2010
San Diego, CA USA
Yes, the scrolling has "inertia". The faster you scroll the more inertia it will have and continue to scroll even when you let off the trackpad. Macs have acted that way to quite a while. It's a feature, not a bug. Controls, under Ventura anyway, seem to be under Accessibility -> Trackpad Options -> Use inertia when scrolling.

woolypants

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2018
Yes, the scrolling has "inertia". The faster you scroll the more inertia it will have and continue to scroll even when you let off the trackpad. Macs have acted that way to quite a while. It's a feature, not a bug. Controls, under Ventura anyway, seem to be under Accessibility -> Trackpad Options -> Use inertia when scrolling.
Thanks but it’s not that. I’m aware of inertial scrolling (been using Macs for around two decades at this point). As I said this is the Mac adding a few more lines of scrolling when I lift my fingers. It’s either a bug or hardware fault. I’m aware of a long-standing pinch to expand bug though that Apple hasn’t fixed for several releases of macOS. So it might be linked to that.

nWm

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2023
Hi, I am experiencing the same issue and it is very annoying.
Did you find the way to get rid of it? I am thinking about about clearing SMC and factory reset. Did you try any of it?
Do you use Safari or other browser?
Do you have Magic Trackpad and do you experience it there?

I have MBP M1Pro 14" and I am using Safari. I also don't know how to simulate it, but it is happening when I want to scroll down only one line and sometimes it jumps few more.

woolypants

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2018
Still happening for me.

This is in Safari. I don’t use any other browser. I’m unsure if it happens in other apps because I don’t scroll in the same way in them.

This is in the built in trackpad. I don’t use any other pointing device.

On Apple Silicon Macs you cannot reset or clear the SMC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.