Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PHBench

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2022
Hello all, we are trying to get back running after all the Covid stuff. I have turned on one of our MacBook Pro and I am met with this weird Microsoft sign-in screen. I am confused about what a Microsoft login is doing on a Mac. This could have been a Mac that a developer we hired configured and left this software on. I tried a system restore to Monterey, and it seemed like it completed it. However, when it finished, I tried to restart it, bringing me back to the same screen. I see I have access to the disk utilities. I am wondering if can I do a wipe of the hard drive to re-install Monterey. Could someone advise? Thanks for any help. Phil

Attachments

• MS-something.jpg
    MS-something.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 297
  • Other-op.jpg
    Other-op.jpg
    307.1 KB · Views: 125
  • Wow
Reactions: sorgo †

bob_zz123

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2017
Looks like it is enrolled in Jamf Pro (mobile device management) which is using SAML / Azure AD authentication rather than you logging on locally to the Mac. It is reasonably common in enterprise / large edu / similar types of environments. If you don't need any of the data on it you can try erasing the hard drive and reinstall Monterey but if the machine is enrolled in Apple's Device Enrolment Program then it will automatically enrol back into Jamf Pro after the wipe. If this is a company machine you will need to speak to the IT department who can advise on the best thing to do really.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Did you wipe the drive before installing Monterey?

The Microsoft screen could be for logging into Windows 10. Power off the MacBook, press power button, hold down the option key to see if there is a option to boot from a macOS partition.

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
Looks like it is enrolled in Jamf Pro (mobile device management) which is using SAML / Azure AD authentication rather than you logging on locally to the Mac. It is reasonably common in enterprise / large edu / similar types of environments. If you don't need any of the data on it you can try erasing the hard drive and reinstall Monterey but if the machine is enrolled in Apple's Device Enrolment Program then it will automatically enrol back into Jamf Pro after the wipe. If this is a company machine you will need to speak to the IT department who can advise on the best thing to do really.

It's this.

Correct answer: The company that owned it needs to release it in Apple's Device Enrollment Program (DEP). No matter how many times you reinstall, DEP is always going to hand it back to JAMF and the company that owned it. Since you state you've already reinstalled, it must be DEP.

Hacky answer: reinstall macOS again, but DO NOT connect it to any networks until after you get through Setup Assistant and you're sitting at the desktop post-install. YMMV here + you run the risk of it deciding to "phone home" eventually and landing back in the same place.

PHBench

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2022
After formatting the hard drive, I am stuck at this screen with no way to connect to the WiFi it asks for. Does anyone know how to connect to Wifi?

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 97
  • Sad
Reactions: sorgo †

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
Can you click on the WiFi symbol in the upper right of the screen? Perhaps that would display available networks.

Reactions: VaruLV
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.