Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RadioHedgeFund

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 11, 2018
Has anyone had any issues with Siri in the recent 15.4 update. I have mine set to Irish Female (for my own reasons....) and most of the time she is the usual perky feedback. Occasionally though I will get feedback in a much more robotic, synthesized version of the voice. This has only recently started to happen.

Did Apple change Siri to use a more monotenous voice when performing on-device functions outside the internet?

Reactions: uller6

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Has anyone had any issues with Siri in the recent 15.4 update. I have mine set to Irish Female (for my own reasons....) and most of the time she is the usual perky feedback. Occasionally though I will get feedback in a much more robotic, synthesized version of the voice. This has only recently started to happen.

Did Apple change Siri to use a more monotenous voice when performing on-device functions outside the internet?
What seemed to resolve this for me was going back to the Siri voice selection and then select the voice again and make sure that it downloaded the high resolution version of the voice.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England

Yes I get that quite often especially when a HomeKit scene takes longer than normal which, these days is 99% of the time because Apple have ****ed it up!

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York

I had this right after doing a factory reset on my iPhone a few weeks back and only with announce messages with the AirPods Pro. It seemingly resolved itself after a few days but was very annoying.

Ahmamies

Cancelled
Oct 13, 2020
Still an issue with iOS 16. Just changed in my phone and I had to download the one I was using again.

BB1970

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2009

That’s so odd. I was just mentioning this to someone that Siri sounded more “dour” when she responded with an “OK” after a request. I thought maybe it was all in my head.

Starfia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2011
Historically, some voices have had a range of versions with respect to what's called "quality" in settings – for example, a "low quality" version of a voice is less expressive and detailed, but the storage required is a fraction of what the highest-quality version takes. ("Quality" could be a general term for a number of variants, for all I know.) As some are suggesting, this might have to do with the version of the voice available to the given device at a given time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.