Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Got my PB in Nov 18th.... I noticed the lines, they were not iritating me as umch when I first got it, but after a few weeks - my god they were a pain...

Anyway I rang apple begining of the new year and described the problem, and they said I couldn't return the mac for a replacement because it was over 16 days, but I could get it repaired in an Apple Repair Center...

I rang the repair center and they said they had not heard of the problem?? We are they mars? and could'nt guarantee a perfect screen... mmmmm

So I told them I'll hold on for a while longer - till 10.4.4 comes out at least.

Anyway in the mean time my Battery became problematic, one minute it would report full charged and hang at 99% - but reports on 87% of battery life left after 2 months??? :confused: The next it would shut down whilst on the battery without warning and when rebooted would report 47% original battery life... Irksome is not the word. So I rang apple aftercare support and reported that the battery was playing up and asked if they would replace the battery and collect the troublesome one... They put me through to Tech Support in India so I could get a case ID.. After 50 minutes of re-explaining the problem they gave me a case ID.

Rang back aftercare support in Ireland, they now had the case ID and to my surprise they would just replace the entire powerbook rather than just the battery....

Why?? I don't know... Seems strange that the display which is a bigger problem is deemed to be repairable but a battery which is easily replaceble is deemed enough to warrant an entire replacement.. My PB is custom order too....??

What cost's more an entire machine or a new battery?

Oh well, hopefully when it returns the new machine will have a perfect screen... But I wont hold my breath :rolleyes: Has any of the new machines lately been screen perfect?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
So I just got order confirmation for a new powerbook BTO option included..

TNT collecting this one tommorow.. :D

Damn if I had held off for just a couple more days I might have been able to get one of the new machines, if the PB rumors are true :rolleyes:

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
My guess would be that the diagnosis is something to the effect of a bad logic board as opposed to the battery itself. Batteries generally just don't hold the charge and the power remaining only goes one way, to 0.

As to the replacement macihine, keep in mind it could be a refurbished machine, but then if it works correctly it is better than your new one :)

Hope it all works out ok for you!

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
jbernie said:
My guess would be that the diagnosis is something to the effect of a bad logic board as opposed to the battery itself. Batteries generally just don't hold the charge and the power remaining only goes one way, to 0.

Maybe that's it... It is a new replacement though as opposed refurbished, as it's a Build To Order config and order confirmation shows Est Build Time: 3 days :D

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Damn and now they release a battery firmware update via software update. Typical.... How come tech support didn't know this was due withing 24 hours of me contacting them, surely they should know that there was a known problem and that they would have a fix for it soon....

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Double DAMN :D :D :D

MacBookPro aghhhhhhhhhhh....... Rang apple to see if they could cancel the replacement and give me a refund. They agreed...

10 minutes later Apple ring, can't cancel as it's gone to the step before shipping :( :( :(

However he said once it arrives they will be able to give another RMA as it's counted as a new order and within 14 day period, and then they'll refund me.

Drags it on a little, but I dont care

MacBookPro on order this evening I think... Every cloud :D :D :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.