Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I have been holding out with my Intel 2020 27 iMac with my Radeon Pro 5700XT on Windows 11 bootcamp. Mainly play games with my teenage kids on cross play platforms (they are on PS5) still get decent enough FPS on likes of COD MWII, but I am a below average gamer so I don't get too concerned about such stuff.

However I am also considering building a windows gaming rig, as at some point the intel iMac will stop being supported by Apple and it will no doubt struggle with triple AAA moving forward.

Haven't had a PC for over 20 years (used to build my own) and to tell you the truth never thought I would again, but I am stuck on keyboard and mouse so console is not for me. So many changes to consider now and have always favoured AMD over intel, but the prices of GPUs is still eye watering despite being more available than they were.

Apple have made their choices and unless something gives in the future, gaming on the Mac for me is just too painful to continue with long term.
A console controller is definitely my second choice, I’ll go as far as saying I dislike it. 🤔 I built my first PC in 2013, rebuilt it in 2019, and a little surprised how little the build process has changed.

Reactions: Queen6

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
A console controller is definitely my second choice, I’ll go as far as saying I dislike it. 🤔 I built my first PC in 2013, rebuilt it in 2019, and a little surprised how little the build process has changed.
For me... it depends on the game. I prefer playing KBM, but I'll grab the controller for button masher games... like Ratchet & Clank. For Cyberpunk 2077, I'll use both. Most of the game I'll be on KBM, but on the racing side quests with Clair... I'll switch to controller. I can complete the races faster on controller. When driving to locations, I'm fine with KBM... but I usually look for the Fast Travel Dataterms to get to my destination.

My first PC build, we had jumpers on the mobo that we had to move and configure to recognize drives (hd, optical, floppy (5-1/4, 3.5)...). LOL. No GPU's back then... but we had to buy Sound and Modem cards for the slots... if you want speakers and internet. So much easier to build PC's these days.

Reactions: Huntn

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I built my first PC in 2013, rebuilt it in 2019, and a little surprised how little the build process has changed.
I've been involved in PCs since the the IBM PC was released, and I started working for a computer store, around the time the 486 was out, so around the late 80s. Its been a fun journey to be sure. I have to say not much has changed, other then the the acronyms, i.e., ISA, vs. PCI etc.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
I've been involved in PCs since the the IBM PC was released, and I started working for a computer store, around the time the 486 was out, so around the late 80s. Its been a fun journey to be sure. I have to say not much has changed, other then the the acronyms, i.e., ISA, vs. PCI etc.
It is a good point. I have been building PCs for a couple of decades (I remember using mwave.com to order parts LOL...) and it is pretty much the same--except for the GPU cost! That is crazy!

Reactions: Huntn and erayser

salamanderjuice

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2020
It is a good point. I have been building PCs for a couple of decades (I remember using mwave.com to order parts LOL...) and it is pretty much the same--except for the GPU cost! That is crazy!
It's sort of nuts that a high end GPU these days is like 2-3 game consoles. Not even the best card either. It used to be for the price of a PlayStation you at least got best GPU money could buy and performance that absolutely crushed it. Now you get a slight bump assuming the game even runs properly...

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
It’s still a substantial bump over what a PS5 can do - console GPUs often push medium or low settings, and have lower resolutions internally to boot. PC performance has always been as dependent on good programming as stronger hardware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.