Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
After trying the 15 max for a short time, and going back to a pro, I wound up getting another max this week. I’ve just been on the fence about it for months, wondering if I gave the Max enough of a shot, but not being willing to make the jump. But a few weeks ago, my daughter got a max, and my other daughter got a plus, and it made me realize how much my eyes love the larger phones.

I also got to thinking that this might be my only chance to get a max if they do indeed increase the size of it this year, so I made the jump.

I’m still getting used to it, but the pro is sold and gone, so there’s no going back now. I absolutely loved it when I had it, but was just scared I wouldn’t get used to the size. Now I have no choice but to get used to it. ;-p

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
To be honest, if they increase the sizes next year then you would have two sizes larger than the current pro as opposed to just one now (max).

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
In my opinion, if one has to 'get used to' the large size of a phone, that typically means said phone is really too big. A phone should fit natural in the hands and it should be easy to handle, use, and carry.

Consider using a phone as a phone and not as a one size fits all computer type replacement. If you are home and need something a little bigger, then an iPad or Mac is much better (generally speaking).

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
In my opinion, if one has to 'get used to' the large size of a phone, that typically means said phone is really too big. A phone should fit natural in the hands and it should be easy to handle, use, and carry.

Consider using a phone as a phone and not as a one size fits all computer type replacement. If you are home and need something a little bigger, then an iPad or Mac is much better (generally speaking).

Well I feel like I had to get used to using smaller phones when I went from plus to regular/pro, so I feel like there’s definitely an adjustment period with the change. I’ve wanted to go larger to make texting easier with the larger keyboard, and just overall easier on my eyes since they steadily get worse.

I do use my iPad a lot at home, but when I’m out, or going somewhere I don’t want to bring my iPad, the extra size is nice.

Reactions: Tsepz

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
To be honest, if they increase the sizes next year then you would have two sizes larger than the current pro as opposed to just one now (max).

Well yeah, but I‘m thinking the size change for the regular pro wouldn’t be much, and for the max, even though it wouldn’t be much, it would push it over the edge of what I’d be comfortable with, but who knows? It may not even change.

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023

everyone should have a mini then if that’s the case

Reactions: avheatherim

Zapdoc

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2012
After trying the 15 max for a short time, and going back to a pro, I wound up getting another max this week. I’ve just been on the fence about it for months, wondering if I gave the Max enough of a shot, but not being willing to make the jump. But a few weeks ago, my daughter got a max, and my other daughter got a plus, and it made me realize how much my eyes love the larger phones.

I also got to thinking that this might be my only chance to get a max if they do indeed increase the size of it this year, so I made the jump.

I’m still getting used to it, but the pro is sold and gone, so there’s no going back now. I absolutely loved it when I had it, but was just scared I wouldn’t get used to the size. Now I have no choice but to get used to it. ;-p
I am thinking this way also Have a 15 pro pleased with it except it eats battery trying a 15 plus which has plenty of vattery. It not sure of camera and screen looks dulled even when fully bright compared to 15pro
Is battery on 15 Max really that much better in real life - as I ignore the test publications

Reactions: Surfsalot

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I am thinking this way also Have a 15 pro pleased with it except it eats battery trying a 15 plus which has plenty of vattery. It not sure of camera and screen looks dulled even when fully bright compared to 15pro
Is battery on 15 Max really that much better in real life - as I ignore the test publications
Well I don't know how much battery it had out the box but I set it up and have used it for 2 days with no charging and still have battery.

Reactions: dms_91

AirpodsNow

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2017

I got the opposite issue. Had a 13 mini and got a 15 Max. It’s much better for anything on screen really, getting older somehow demands that. But each time I see a regular size my mind goes…. Hm.. that is much easier to hold and carry. My laziness can’t seem to bother to change it for now.

Reactions: AF_APPLETALK

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I got the opposite issue. Had a 13 mini and got a 15 Max. It’s much better for anything on screen really, getting older somehow demands that. But each time I see a regular size my mind goes…. Hm.. that is much easier to hold and carry. My laziness can’t seem to bother to change it for now.

Oh it’s definitely easier to hold the pro, but the times when I’m holding it the most are the times when the screen size is really a perk. When I’m talking on the phone, I’m almost always on speaker, either inside my house or in my vehicle, so when I’m actually holding it, it’s because I’m texting, reading something, or playing a game, all of which are more enjoyable with more screen (and larger keyboard).

Carrying isn’t an issue for me really since either one goes in my purse.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I too went 15 pro and just bought a max Friday. The pro is a nice size but man the battery is putrid for a heavy user like myself. I am loving the max.

I wasn’t really noticing, or paying attention to, a battery issue, but I’m never far from a charger. I have noticed that I haven’t plugged the max in since I started using it, except for a short time in my car yesterday, and I still have 30% battery.

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
I just got a refurbished 14 Pro Max last week, it's my first ever plus sized iPhone! And I have to say I LOVE it! The bigger size is well worth the pay off, it's easier on my eyes and I can read the screen better, why I got it due to my eyesight these days, battery life is brilliant and for me it's easier to use, I can use the keyboard a LOT better.

I'm even considering selling my iPad Pro now as all I ever do on that is media consumption and games. But with an iPhone Max it's in my pocket too.

I've had iPhones for years, so many of them, always stuck to the smaller size, most recent a XR then 13 Pro. But after having a Max I'm never going back I don't think.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
everyone should have a mini then if that’s the case

I will do you one better…way back in 1999 my wife and I were looking for our first cellphones. There was this little itty bitty flip phone that folded was half the size of the original iPhone.

If we go with the philosophy you are skewering here then phones should not be any bigger than half the size of the original iPhone. And that would fit even kid hands.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Oh it’s definitely easier to hold the pro, but the times when I’m holding it the most are the times when the screen size is really a perk. When I’m talking on the phone, I’m almost always on speaker, either inside my house or in my vehicle, so when I’m actually holding it, it’s because I’m texting, reading something, or playing a game, all of which are more enjoyable with more screen (and larger keyboard).

At least with me you don't have to justify the size of the Max and handling. I've had a 6 Plus since 2015 and currently my primary phone is the 11 Pro Max.

A lot of people want to one-hand a ~$1000 device. I'm not one of those. One-handed means I am not focusing on the matter at hand and when I am not focusing, I drop things or damage things. I don't use cases on my phones so this is likely to result in my phone being dropped and damaged.

For me, two-hands. And given the nature of how I use devices anyway that applies even to the smaller phones I have. I've never been able to master the using your phone with your thumb thing.

But as a non-case user there are a whole bunch of self-made 'rules' to handling I follow to protect my device anyway.

Reactions: dms_91

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
I will do you one better…way back in 1999 my wife and I were looking for our first cellphones. There was this little itty bitty flip phone that folded was half the size of the original iPhone.

If we go with the philosophy you are skewering here then phones should not be any bigger than half the size of the original iPhone. And that would fit even kid hands

I was just reply to this, I have a max.

zhtfreak

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2021
I use VoiceOver, when the mini phones got announced a lot of blind people got excited because they can have a smaller screen because the screen size doesn't, for the most part anyway, do much for us. I went from a XR to a 12 mini that I later got a magsafe battery pack for, and now have a 15 pro. Only real benefit to the bigger phones has been the crazy battery life. I take my magsafe battery pack to work but find that I never have to use it, and I don't have to charge my phone halfway through the day anymore, which sometimes meant using it tethered to the charger.

I am curious though, everyone who gets a plus or pro max talks about how much easier things are to see on the bigger phones, but has anyone actually tried using the vision accessibility settings? Things like Zoom or the stuff under settings>accessibility>display and text size. Wouldn't those give you the best of both worlds; having a bit smaller phone with the regular 15/pro, but still being able to have the more readable text, or is a plus or Pro Max just that much better even with those options. I just feel like not enough people know about all the stuff Apple does for accessibility.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I use VoiceOver, when the mini phones got announced a lot of blind people got excited because they can have a smaller screen because the screen size doesn't, for the most part anyway, do much for us. I went from a XR to a 12 mini that I later got a magsafe battery pack for, and now have a 15 pro. Only real benefit to the bigger phones has been the crazy battery life. I take my magsafe battery pack to work but find that I never have to use it, and I don't have to charge my phone halfway through the day anymore, which sometimes meant using it tethered to the charger.

I am curious though, everyone who gets a plus or pro max talks about how much easier things are to see on the bigger phones, but has anyone actually tried using the vision accessibility settings? Things like Zoom or the stuff under settings>accessibility>display and text size. Wouldn't those give you the best of both worlds; having a bit smaller phone with the regular 15/pro, but still being able to have the more readable text, or is a plus or Pro Max just that much better even with those options. I just feel like not enough people know about all the stuff Apple does for accessibility.

I do use the zoom and bigger text, but on a smaller phone, you just don’t get much text on the screen if you make it larger.

Reactions: Pezimak

AirpodsNow

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2017

I was influenced by my own family. They (parents and sis) all have a Max. Sis & husband went from regular to Max and told me to just get the Max, don't bother with the regular. Honestly I am so used to the screen size, whenever I want to do something, the screen is perfect until I put it 'somewhere' to be carried. Unfortunately no purse, but whatever pocket is available. Case-less is great for the hands, but horrible risky for the pockets, it's fallen more than once, lost it twice and luckily could trace back my steps to find it. Of course that was never an issue with the smaller ones.... just real-life issues that I need to figure out with a max phone. :rolleyes:

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
I’ve gotten used to the max, but I’ll return to the regular when I can heh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.