Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lau

Original poster
I was just going to whore this out using my garish signature, but hell, why not post it too. I've made a new portfolio website, and welcome criticism and suggestions, as well as cash in brown envelopes. ;)

http://www.laurabarnard.co.uk

I felt my old site needed an overhaul, and also took it as an opportunity to learn some CSS. It now also has a fab new "Image o' the day" where there will be a new illustration/photo/image as a front page every morning so hopefully getting more daily visitors, desperate to see what excitement awaits them each morning :p . I'll be archiving the images weekly on the site.

Thanks for looking. :)

whocares

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
:noitаɔo˩
I like the style: simple and effective.
I also like the font you used: same comment as above. :)

Haven't had time to look at the contents in detail, but that looks interesting too. Will look more tomorow, tis bed time now. ;)

Aarow

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2005
It's easy to navigate, that's the biggest thing for me+plus it loads fast.

I like the current image of the day :).

L

Lau

Original poster
Thanks. :) I'm really glad you all like it. I was trying to hit a point between stylish graphics and easy navigation with fast loading, so hopefully it's doing something along those lines.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Lau said:
I was just going to whore this out using my garish signature, but hell, why not post it too. I've made a new portfolio website, and welcome criticism and suggestions, as well as cash in brown envelopes. ;)

http://www.laurabarnard.co.uk

I felt my old site needed an overhaul, and also took it as an opportunity to learn some CSS. It now also has a fab new "Image o' the day" where there will be a new illustration/photo/image as a front page every morning so hopefully getting more daily visitors, desperate to see what excitement awaits them each morning :p . I'll be archiving the images weekly on the site.

Thanks for looking. :)

I miss the staples. :(

L

Lau

Original poster
devilot said:
iGary said:
I miss the staples. :(
Haha, I thought those were sooo neat, too. :p But everybody's got to grow, right?

I can send you both some staples. ;)

Do either of you think it's missing the 3D-ness of the other site? The staples as navigation became a bit problematic - I could never remember where stuff was so I'm sure no-one else could. I also thought with iWeb doing a lot of the stuff that the old one had - 3D bits, paper edges to photos, etc. that it was going to look pretty unoriginal if I used it for the new site as well.

I'm open to suggestions. :) Although if you tell me to redesign the entire thing I will cry, and it will be your fault. ;)

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
No, I think the concept and the actual appearance of the staples were really fresh and innovative. That said, I bet some less savvy people wouldn't have even 'discovered' them. It was an extra step to 'hover' over each staple to see what it would link to.

By the way, I got a huge kick out of the Trifle video... not sure what about it in particular. :eek:

As for 3D-ness... I dunno. Shrug. I'm not in graphic design or anything 'professional' so I don't think I can be of much help.

I do think that maybe, the old little matchbox/thingiemajig that 'opened' up feels more 3D than what I've seen on this revised version. But the way you photographed and displayed each 'book' or whatnot still feels 3D and the special touch of zooming in is nice.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Lau said:
I can send you both some staples. ;)

Do either of you think it's missing the 3D-ness of the other site? The staples as navigation became a bit problematic - I could never remember where stuff was so I'm sure no-one else could. I also thought with iWeb doing a lot of the stuff that the old one had - 3D bits, paper edges to photos, etc. that it was going to look pretty unoriginal if I used it for the new site as well.

I'm open to suggestions. :) Although if you tell me to redesign the entire thing I will cry, and it will be your fault. ;)

I like what you have done, but your old site had a lot of texture to it. I'm not sure I like the font, either, but I can't do a Web site anyway, soooo. ;)

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
iGary said:
I like what you have done, but your old site had a lot of texture to it.
There we go. Thanks, Gary. I couldn't think of just what I missed about the previous one. That's it. :eek: :D

L

Lau

Original poster
iGary said:
I like what you have done, but your old site had a lot of texture to it. I'm not sure I like the font, either, but I can't do a Web site anyway, soooo. ;)

Hmm, I'll have a think about it. I do know what you both mean regarding the 3D-ness and texture. Maybe even a paper-like border on the images or putting the 'logo' on something might be just enough to get it inbetween the two sites. There's a designer called Daniel Eatock who's set up a site that is supposed to be kind of style-free, as in the work speaks for itself. Although I designed mine more than he did, the idea was that the work (and the daily image) would set the style to an extent. Having said that, i also liked the texture on my previous site, so maybe a mixture of the two would be pertinent.

As for the font, iGary - it's kinda gross in a good way, I reckon. :D If was doing, just for example, a more corporate site I'd use something else. ;)

Devilot - the Trifle video was great fun to make as well. :)

Thanks for the input - it's good to know what people think comparing the 2 sites as well. :)

edit: Daniel Eatock has an image of the week - dammit! Must have subliminally picked up on that....:eek:

Cybix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2006
Western Australia
I like it. the simplicity is great. I'm a big fan of very simple sites with easy navigation.

I like your designs, all done with mac? :)

load time is excellent too (important)

pretty cool! :cool:

L

Lau

Original poster
Aaaargh!

I'm at college and the text looks all screwed up, both on my mate's PB and on the college eMacs in all the browsers. It's putting a huge space or a line return after every word. Still looks ok on my PB - even after emptying the cache.

:mad:

Please could someone let me know if it looks like the "good" picture or the "bad" picture below on their computer?

Attachments

• bad.jpg
    bad.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 133
  • ok.jpg
    ok.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 130

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Lau said:
Please could someone let me know if it looks like the "good" picture or the "bad" picture below on their computer?

Looks 'good' from here. Windows 2000, IE 6.0.26

I'll reserve the design crit until I've actually looked at the site in some detail. ;)

Mac Heretic

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2006
Jumpy or not

>Please could someone let me know if it looks like the "good" picture or the "bad" >picture below on their computer?

I'm good. No jumps there now. And that is with Firefox 1.5 & XP.

L

Lau

Original poster
Blue Velvet said:
Looks 'good' from here. Windows 2000, IE 6.0.26

I'll reserve the design crit until I've actually looked at the site in some detail. ;)

I look forward to it - much respect on your opinion, as always. :)

Thanks, both of you, for checking it out - I'll have to work out what's sending it insane at college, but at least the rest of the world is seeing it on it's 'good' side.

eyeon

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2004
Montana, USA
Very nice work. The "10 things you didn't want to know about me" book is brilliant. What a fantastic idea... I'm now quite curious about the other 9 things...

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
Great site laura, its so neuvo riche (in a good way).

Love that ten things book... was wondering though, how do you publish these things/make them into books?

Dunepilot

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2002
UK
Ah, David Devant and His Spirit Wife - highly underrated. I once supported them with my old (pop/rock) band. They were wonderful.

Like the site in general. Simple is good as far as I'm concerned

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
iphil said:
wtf is Staples??
Her previous site's links were images of staples... you had to click on the staples to go to the corresponding link. They were really neat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.