Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 15, 2009
USA
I have three Wemo smart plugs. One of them refuses to update. When I select the option to update I get:
IMG_5871.jpeg

Does anyone know of a solution? Alternatively, would anyone recommend Aqara’s plugs? I already have Aqara cams that can be hubs.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I have three Wemo smart plugs. One of them refuses to update. When I select the option to update I get:
View attachment 2328529
Does anyone know of a solution? Alternatively, would anyone recommend Aqara’s plugs? I already have Aqara cams that can be hubs.

How old are these Wemos? The original ones are starting to get a bit long in the tooth. I just had to replace my 0G Wemos as they wouldn’t stay connected and were a pain to reconnect because they lacked the HomeKit QR code.

babalougots

macrumors regular
May 5, 2021
Lutron Caseta. I have two Lutron plugs in addition to a lot of switches. I had Wemo plugs and switches previously. Disaster of the highest order. If you're serious about making a move, consider Lutron. The Hub/bridge takes the load off your network. It's flawless.

Reactions: poorcody

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 15, 2009
USA
Finally got it working again. Had to remove the accessory. Then factory reset it about ten times before I could get it re-added. After that the update worked. These Wemo plugs have always been a pain.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 15, 2009
USA
Lutron Caseta. I have two Lutron plugs in addition to a lot of switches. I had Wemo plugs and switches previously. Disaster of the highest order. If you're serious about making a move, consider Lutron. The Hub/bridge takes the load off your network. It's flawless.
This should definitely be what I switch to. I have a lot of Caseta in my house but no plugs yet. The switches have been 100% perfect for me so I’m sure the plugs would be no different.

Reactions: babalougots

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Finally got it working again. Had to remove the accessory. Then factory reset it about ten times before I could get it re-added. After that the update worked. These Wemo plugs have always been a pain.

Yep…sounds about exactly right.

I also agree that Lutron products may be the way to go. Staying off WiFi is probably for the best.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 15, 2009
USA
Yep…sounds about exactly right.

I also agree that Lutron products may be the way to go. Staying off WiFi is probably for the best.
I can find Lutron’s outdoor plug but I can’t find an indoor one. Either Google or my brain is failing me this morning. Do you happen to know where I can find it?

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I can find Lutron’s outdoor plug but I can’t find an indoor one. Either Google or my brain is failing me this morning. Do you happen to know where I can find it?
I’m not aware of an indoor Lutron smart plug. I know they have an indoor plug in lamp dimmer but that can only be used for lamps. Curiosity got the better of me so I checked the website. Doesn’t look like they have such a device in existence.

If you’re looking to offload some strain on your WiFi, I know Philips Hue and Aqara have Zigbee based smart plugs. Hub required of course, but worth a mention in case you already have a hub or interested in expanding.

I know Wemo gets a lot of flack in the smart home community. I have seven of the original smart plugs for the past six + years when they were the affordable brand on the market. For the first year or so, yeah I admit, they sucked. A lot of drops. But for the past 4+ years, they’ve been some of my most reliable accessories in HomeKit. It was around the time they switched to cloud based. I lose power, internet, whatever, and they pop right back into action when everything is restored without any input from me. Not undermining your experience at all. 100 people can’t be wrong but I’m wondering why the difference in experience with them. Their doorbell, now that was a nightmare lol.

Edit*. Just re-read your post. Yeah Aqara stuff is just plain good. Since you already have the hub. The only thing with their plugs is, by design, you can only use one per outlet box.

Reactions: TonyC28

BobRey77

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2021
I’m not aware of an indoor Lutron smart plug. I know they have an indoor plug in lamp dimmer but that can only be used for lamps. Curiosity got the better of me so I checked the website. Doesn’t look like they have such a device in existence.

If you’re looking to offload some strain on your WiFi, I know Philips Hue and Aqara have Zigbee based smart plugs. Hub required of course, but worth a mention in case you already have a hub or interested in expanding.

I know Wemo gets a lot of flack in the smart home community. I have seven of the original smart plugs for the past six + years when they were the affordable brand on the market. For the first year or so, yeah I admit, they sucked. A lot of drops. But for the past 4+ years, they’ve been some of my most reliable accessories in HomeKit. It was around the time they switched to cloud based. I lose power, internet, whatever, and they pop right back into action when everything is restored without any input from me. Not undermining your experience at all. 100 people can’t be wrong but I’m wondering why the difference in experience with them. Their doorbell, now that was a nightmare lol.

Edit*. Just re-read your post. Yeah Aqara stuff is just plain good. Since you already have the hub. The only thing with their plugs is, by design, you can only use one per outlet box.
I've had the same experience with my Wemo plugs. They were very inexpensive and have always worked fine. I think they are Thread compatible if I'm remembering correctly and work with the HomePod minis as the Thread router. In any case, they have been very reliable and respond very quickly to Siri commands. I have no idea if they have updated themselves to current firmware. Is that something that happens automatically or would I have to do it manually?

Reactions: Itinj24

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I've had the same experience with my Wemo plugs. They were very inexpensive and have always worked fine. I think they are Thread compatible if I'm remembering correctly and work with the HomePod minis as the Thread router. In any case, they have been very reliable and respond very quickly to Siri commands. I have no idea if they have updated themselves to current firmware. Is that something that happens automatically or would I have to do it manually?
If I remember to check the Wemo app for an update then I check lol. Other than that, it’s just a smart plug. I usually don’t bother unless I’m facing issues. If it works, I just leave well enough alone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.