Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spetsgruppa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2021
so last night i went to a Samsung Store...was planning on picking up a S22 Ultra to replace my iPhone 12 Pro Max... played with the display unit for a few minutes and left without buying it...

the things i dislike about the S22 Ultra :

-Doesnt have face unlock with mask.

-When being held in my hand,it feels exactly like my Note 20 Ultra.

the things i like about the S22 Ultra :

-Has fingerprint scanner.

-The phone definitely feels snappy with the Snapdragon 8 Gen 1.But it doesnt justify switching from my 12 Pro Max.

-If i didnt have my Note 20 Ultra it would be a good sidekick for my 12 Pro Max.

-Its cheaper than the iPhone 13 Pro Max.

Finally it answered my curiosity about the S22 Ultra and left as a happier person. Would hold on to my 12 Pro Max until iPhone 14 series comes out.

Last edited:
Reactions: jaymc

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Why are you looking to replace your 12PM? It’s an extremely powerful phone that will be overpowered for almost all the software for years to come.

I’ve yet to see anything run better on an A15 over an A14 never mind a Snapdragon 8!

I’d definitely wait for the iPhone 14 also however other than a flat camera and slightly different aesthetics, I don’t know what else it’ll be able to provide a normal smartphone user.

Until solid state batteries are out, I reckon we have reached peak innovation meaning there’s little reason to upgrade unless you believe having the latest phone is a reason in itself. I am not saying that’s a bad reason, either. I know much of the audience here like to keep up to date despite the only slight incremental upgrades each year.

Last edited:

Mark Stone

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2022
In its case.
My wife and I got new smartphones about a month ago - she got the Sammy S22 and I (of course) stayed with Apple with a new 13 standard. After playing with her phone and comparing it with mine, I come back to the same conclusion I've always had - the best Samsung Androids and the best iPhones compare very favorably with each other. Both are extremely powerful and useful, and the choice of an iPhone over a Samsung S22 (or the opposite) is largely a matter of personal taste.

Prabas

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2010
Europe
I have read somewhere saying the S22 Ultra doesnt support Hi Res music through Bluetooth whereas my 12 Pro Max supports it.
Phones do not support Hi Res music through Bluetooth. Some Android phones have aptX codec that supports 16-bit 44.1kHz but that's it. iPhones do not support any kind of lossless audio over Bluetooth.

Spetsgruppa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2021
Phones do not support Hi Res music through Bluetooth. Some Android phones have aptX codec that supports 16-bit 44.1kHz but that's it. iPhones do not support any kind of lossless audio over Bluetooth.
ah thanks for clearing it up. so if i listen to music on Apple Music,will it be better on the S22 Ultra or iPhone 12 Pro Max?

Spetsgruppa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2021
Why are you looking to replace your 12PM? It’s an extremely powerful phone that will be overpowered for almost all the software for years to come.

I’ve yet to see anything run better on an A15 over an A14 never mind a Snapdragon 8!

I’d definitely wait for the iPhone 14 also however other than a flat camera and slightly different aesthetics, I don’t know what else it’ll be able to provide a normal smartphone user.

Until solid state batteries are out, I reckon we have reached peak innovation meaning there’s little reason to upgrade unless you believe having the latest phone is a reason in itself. I am not saying that’s a bad reason, either. I know much of the audience here like to keep up to date despite the only slight incremental upgrades each year.
i was just curious...i mean it must be good.Yes its good but not good enough to make me switch at the moment.

clerkpalmer

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2016
This isn’t quite correct. Android supports higher bitrates over Bluetooth well beyond Aptx and according to some definitions reaching HiRes. Android supports AptxHD and LDAC both of which allow much higher bitrates over Bluetooth than Apple. The better question is whether it matters but technically Android is a better choice for an audiophile for a variety of reasons not limited solely to BT. For example, Android supports a system wide EQ which apple does not.

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Personally for me it’s more about the resell value as I usually upgrade every year and Android devices in general have terrible resell values because they constantly have huge discounts throughout the year even on flagship devices. How can I sell a less than year old model when you can get it brand new for cheaper throughout the year or even a few months after release. Android companies devalue their stuff so quick it’s never worth buying them at full price.

Justified or not Apple has a luxury designer mentality. No sales ever and while you can get “sales” from authorized retailers it’s essentially the same as Apples student/government discount. Additionally, l can go into the Apple store or mail it in with very little hassle. For a frequent updater like me that’s in the ecosystem it’s a no brainer. By the end of its product year you can probably get a S22 Ultra for a few hundred bucks where an iPhone 13 PM would easily fetch double.

Reactions: Spetsgruppa

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
I tried the S22 Ultra at Best Buy and the phone felt 'cheap' feeling to me. I did like the color they had on display there but yeah, it doesn't feel solid like an iPhone for some reason. I don't know why reviewers don't mention this and just say it's premium. It felt kind of 'hollow' on the front screen when you tapped and used the UI and not as tightly made as like a 13 Pro Max.

clerkpalmer

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2016
I tried the S22 Ultra at Best Buy and the phone felt 'cheap' feeling to me. I did like the color they had on display there but yeah, it doesn't feel solid like an iPhone for some reason. I don't know why reviewers don't mention this and just say it's premium. It felt kind of 'hollow' on the front screen when you tapped and used the UI and not as tightly made as like a 13 Pro Max.
I think the S22 Ultra hardware is every bit as nice if not nicer than Apple but the experience is not as fluid. Both have strengths and weaknesses and I wish apple would innovate a bit more. That said their incremental approach to upgrades has worked well for them.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I would say the s22 ultra is the best and most complete phone but if you prefer IOS all that doesn't matter. I enjoy both and even though I would say the ultra is better than my 13 pro max if I had to choose I would pick the iPhone based on the ecosystem and the Apple Watch and how great it is.

luckily I have both and will continue to Enjoy both

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Samsung makes some nice phones I just don't like Android OS.
I did almost a year on Android (May 2020 to February 2021). Got the Google Pixel 3a XL, which is pure Android, not whatever concoction Samsung or other manufacturers come up with.

I have to say it's better than the time I tried it in 2012 or so, but still not as polished as iOS. That's the main reason I came back. Google supports its phones like Apple does the iPhone so my Pixel is now on Android 12. My main issue with Android though is consistency. When Apple upgrades iOS they tend to stick with the same gestures and the same manner of doing things. Google on the other hand, will change gestures over the course of OS upgrades. They also remove features sometimes. Something Apple won't necessarily do unless a feature just really doesn't work out.

So, mainly that's the reason I stay with iOS, consistency.

Spetsgruppa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2021
This isn’t quite correct. Android supports higher bitrates over Bluetooth well beyond Aptx and according to some definitions reaching HiRes. Android supports AptxHD and LDAC both of which allow much higher bitrates over Bluetooth than Apple. The better question is whether it matters but technically Android is a better choice for an audiophile for a variety of reasons not limited solely to BT. For example, Android supports a system wide EQ which apple does not.
but doesnt iPhone support ALAC?

so the S22 Ultra is better for music via bluetooth?

clerkpalmer

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2016
Reactions: NoGood@Usernames

clerkpalmer

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2016
Right. You can stream hiRes files but it doesn’t matter because AAC is the bottle neck over Bluetooth on Apple. On Android, you can stream much higher bitrates. So the streaming quality is limited. If you go wired you can listen true hiRes.

AlexJ092

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2013
I tried to switch to android on multiple occasions with the latest being on a launch day Samsung galaxy note 10+. I managed to go 2 months before I purchased an iPhone . It had nothing to do with Samsung or the device itself but I missed the fluid experience that iOS delivers. The only device I would like to try is the Samsung galaxy fold but only because it looks interesting ?.

Reactions: Ac1d 8urn

HalfFullmoon

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2021
My A53 will arrive tomorrow. Can’t wait. I will remove features for it to be like iPhone, and if I notice lag afterwards, it is going back.

shady16

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2019

14 will not longer have a flat camera will actually look like the 13 pro max but 19% larger and the i-hole punch display with 20% slimmer bezels and thats the only physical differences between 14 and 13

Attachments

• B9347EF6-82AA-48D8-AB9A-F40906F9BF3F.jpeg
    B9347EF6-82AA-48D8-AB9A-F40906F9BF3F.jpeg
    59.9 KB · Views: 72

flyboi65

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2013
I tried to switch to android on multiple occasions with the latest being on a launch day Samsung galaxy note 10+. I managed to go 2 months before I purchased an iPhone . It had nothing to do with Samsung or the device itself but I missed the fluid experience that iOS delivers. The only device I would like to try is the Samsung galaxy fold but only because it looks interesting ?.
This!

I tried a launch day S22 Ultra and stuck with it for 2 months Before going back to an iPhone 13 Pro Max. Admittedly it was a European Exynos version but the UI lag and stuttering was dreadful. Some Apps took 3 seconds to open, scrolling felt jerky even with the resolution dialled back to FHD and the camera shutter was slow. It’s a well worn cliche but Apple stuff just works!

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I carry the S22 Ultra and iPhone 11 Pro Max. In comparison, my iPhone is starting to show it's age on the camera side, and definitely starting to notice the lack of 5G. I will be upgrading my iPhone this time around. So far my S22 Ultra has been flawless for me in every aspect.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Bought my better half an S22 Ultra to replace her Note 9 and it's a wonderful phone. It's fast with smooth transitions and no stuttering or lag that I can detect (it's a Snapdragon variant). I don't particularly like android but, the build quality is excellent and if it could run iOS I would pick one up. The under screen fingerprint sensor is slow and sometimes takes more than one try but the display looks outstanding and the small camera protrusions on the back are nicely done. The notch has never bothered me but I feel Apple should of done something similar with the cameras instead of the large camera hump (which apparently will be larger on the 14 Pro's).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.