Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Probably a useless thread for many, but posting anyway in case anyone cares.

I have the pro max, but really wanted to look at everything in person - phones, cases, watch bands, etc. I know some people don’t have Apple stores nearby, so maybe

I’m happy with my pro max, but I have to say - the back glass on the non-pros is so unique, and feels amazing! I was really back and forth between the plus and pro max, and I don’t think I would’ve been disappointed if I’d have gone with the plus. I didn’t find the weight difference between it and the pro max to be very noticeable when holding them both, but possibly because I’ve gotten used to the weight of the max, so it no longer seems noticeably heavier. The regular 15 almost felt like a mini in my hand - it felt super light. I didn’t pick up the regular size pro to compare it to the 15, mainly because it wasn’t on my radar (the 15 wasn’t either, but I needed to see how light it was - lol). I don’t think there’s a bad choice with the phones this year.

I‘ve been reading a lot of negatives about the cases as well. IDK how they’d hold up, but I thought they looked and felt good. They had marks and scratches, but leather does that as well. I didn’t expect to have an opinion because I’m a pretty loyal Loopy case user, but I always envy the Apple case/wallet combo - just can’t give up the dang loop. I was pretty tempted to buy one though.

I like the material on the modern buckle watch bands as well. Not sure they’re worth the price (and the modern buckle isn’t my fave), but they feel almost like a soft suede. I think they would be really comfortable to wear, and they had a couple of great colors.

Overall I am glad there are choices, but wish there weren’t so many choices if that makes sense. LOL Definitely pros/cons to each device, and sometimes it’s difficult to decide exactly which things are the priority. A lightweight phone is nice for holding, but you have to give up certain extras to get it. For some the weight wins out, but for some they’d love the lighter weight, but really want the extra features. I love the variety, but also kinda miss those decisions being made for me. ;-p

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017

I have the pro max, but really wanted to look at everything in person - phones, cases, watch bands, etc. I know some people don’t have Apple stores nearby, so maybe

I’m happy with my pro max, but I have to say - the back glass on the non-pros is so unique, and feels amazing! I was really back and forth between the plus and pro max, and I don’t think I would’ve been disappointed if I’d have gone with the plus. I didn’t find the weight difference between it and the pro max to be very noticeable when holding them both, but possibly because I’ve gotten used to the weight of the max, so it no longer seems noticeably heavier. The regular 15 almost felt like a mini in my hand - it felt super light. I didn’t pick up the regular size pro to compare it to the 15, mainly because it wasn’t on my radar (the 15 wasn’t either, but I needed to see how light it was - lol). I don’t think there’s a bad choice with the phones this year.

I‘ve been reading a lot of negatives about the cases as well. IDK how they’d hold up, but I thought they looked and felt good. They had marks and scratches, but leather does that as well. I didn’t expect to have an opinion because I’m a pretty loyal Loopy case user, but I always envy the Apple case/wallet combo - just can’t give up the dang loop. I was pretty tempted to buy one though.

I like the material on the modern buckle watch bands as well. Not sure they’re worth the price (and the modern buckle isn’t my fave), but they feel almost like a soft suede. I think they would be really comfortable to wear, and they had a couple of great colors.

Overall I am glad there are choices, but wish there weren’t so many choices if that makes sense. LOL Definitely pros/cons to each device, and sometimes it’s difficult to decide exactly which things are the priority. A lightweight phone is nice for holding, but you have to give up certain extras to get it. For some the weight wins out, but for some they’d love the lighter weight, but really want the extra features. I love the variety, but also kinda miss those decisions being made for me. ;-p

I thought I was the only one who could tell the difference between the frosted glasses used in the Pro and vanilla 15! To be honest with you, the one on the regular 15/15+ feels more premium in my hands. It looks ‘better’ too - which is subjective but the glass on the regular models do not have a metallic reflection unlike the Pro counterparts. Look at the black colour-way 15, it absorbed all the light and I think the reason why it behaves this way is because the micro-etching is more prominent than the glass used on the Pro series.

Furthermore it’s much grippier too. Would you consider going to the regular 15 now?

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
I thought I was the only one who could tell the difference between the frosted glasses used in the Pro and vanilla 15! To be honest with you, the one on the regular 15/15+ feels more premium in my hands. It looks ‘better’ too - which is subjective but the glass on the regular models do not have a metallic reflection unlike the Pro counterparts. Look at the black colour-way 15, it absorbed all the light and I think the reason why it behaves this way is because the micro-etching is more prominent than the glass used on the Pro series.

Furthermore it’s much grippier too. Would you consider going to the regular 15 now?
Next year they will have 120hz hopefully too, they look better I agree.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south

I don’t particularly know if it felt more premium to me, but I liked the feel better, and it looks so good! I use a case, so it really doesn’t make a big difference for my use, and I will keep my pro for the few additional features, but it IS pretty.

Reactions: Al Rukh

MarkNewton2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2023

Your posting is valuable for me. It shows that you took steps to verify and experience selected products and make judgments by your own due diligence, instead of relying reviews by others.
Apple is very successful making product choices with pros and cons for each choice for various individual taste. It is a smart move to make each choice has unique characteristics that other choices do not have so customers have to get more products to have all characteristics they want. This is an excellent sales strategy! In the end, customers have to be smart also to make a right choice by prioritizing what is/are needed or important.

sack_peak

Suspended
Sep 3, 2023
If I didn’t care much for getting the best camera, I would totally buy the plus instead of the pro/pro max. In the end, I returned the pro max and went back to my 14 pro.
A main driver for most upgrades is the camera.

1 of 2 people replace their phones in 3-5 years.

So a 14 Pro user would likely replace to a 17 Pro or 19 Pro.

00XK89eWyIC94invt66wuEv-4.fit_lim.size_1600x900.v1569486766.png

sjperformance

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305

Not useless at all. Great to see you finally went pro max after years of wondering.

StudioMacs

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2022
The regular 15 almost felt like a mini in my hand - it felt super light.
I upgraded from 13 mini to 15 Pro, and as someone who uses the phones caseless, the 15 Pro feels a little better in hand due to the slightly curved edges. I’m enjoying the larger screen which makes the phone a bit more usable for me, and I’m not bothered by the weight like I was by the stainless steel models. I do miss the smaller size of the mini when the phone is in my pocket or in the tiny cubby under my car stereo, but overall the 15 Pro is a better experience than the mini in use.

NeonNights

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2022
I upgraded from 13 mini to 15 Pro, and as someone who uses the phones caseless, the 15 Pro feels a little better in hand due to the slightly curved edges. I’m enjoying the larger screen which makes the phone a bit more usable for me, and I’m not bothered by the weight like I was by the stainless steel models. I do miss the smaller size of the mini when the phone is in my pocket or in the tiny cubby under my car stereo, but overall the 15 Pro is a better experience than the mini in use.
Wife did the exact same, went from a 13 mini to 15 Pro. She also went caseless for the first time, which meant we also got AppleCare for the first time, lol. She really was disappointed by the 13 Mini's cameras and didn't want to make the same mistake, although the regular 15 got a decent bump in camera quality this year.

She's been very happy with the 15 Pro and no overheating issues. Aside from the 13 Mini, my wife holds onto her iPhones an average of 4-5 years and I think the 6.1" serves her best.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south

I’m sure there’s a little more weight difference there than with the regular 15. The 15 was really light feeling to me, which would be very nice - having a phone that lightweight while still having the larger screen over the mini. The mini was definitely too small for me. I struggled with texting, and talk to text is so ridiculous sometimes that I couldn’t get by with that.

I agree though, that the 6.1 screen of the regular phones is a great experience for most people. If there was only one iPhone, I would think that would be the size.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south

Funny - I’m 55, and just now getting to a point where I want to try and stick with a phone for 2 years because I typically upgrade every year. I need to get with the times here. ;-p

sack_peak

Suspended
Sep 3, 2023
Funny - I’m 55, and just now getting to a point where I want to try and stick with a phone for 2 years because I typically upgrade every year. I need to get with the times here. ;-p
You're probably loaded... 🤑 Peak income age...

If I was married with 4 kids this is what I could do when handing down devices. Replace batteries every 3 years.

Family Replacement Cycle3Y6Y9Y
2 parents2023 iPhone 15 Pro Max2023 iPhone 15 Pro Max2023 iPhone 15 Pro Max
1st 2 kids current phones2022 iPhone 14 Pro Max2021 iPhone 13 Pro Max2020 iPhone 12 Pro Max
Last 2 kids current phones2021 iPhone 13 Pro Max2019 iPhone 11 Pro Max2017 iPhone 8 Plus
1st 2 kids sold phones2020 iPhone 12 Pro Max2017 iPhone 8 Plus2014 iPhone 6 Plus
Last 2 kids sold phones2019 iPhone 11 Pro Max2015 iPhone 6s Plus2011 iPhone 4s

Final iOS Security Update occurs on month 100 (8.3 years) or 112 (9.3 years)

Last edited:

aParkerMusic

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2021

There is something special about the glass back of the 15/15 Plus. The glass on the Pros is beautiful, but Apple really did something special with this “color infused” glass on the base models.

VineRider

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2018
There is something special about the glass back of the 15/15 Plus. The glass on the Pros is beautiful, but Apple really did something special with this “color infused” glass on the base models.
I like the back of the 15's as well. Went to my local Apple Store to check them out the other day. If only Apple would put the promotion display on the non-pro models, I would probably start going with those over the Pro.

Hatshepsut

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2009
Yeah I do think Apple does a good job of giving each model unique and attractive characteristics. I currently have a 14, and while I love it, I did end up ordering a 15pro, mostly for the camera. Not that the 14 doesn't take great photos, but I do love the macro shots of flowers and such on the pro, and the optical zoom is great, too. We'll see whether I regret giving up my 14 (I'm also not thrilled by the pro color options--I love my product Red!, but I'm looking foward to my new phone.

Reactions: kp98077

BotchQue

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2019

I only upgraded to my current phone because I had to; they were discontinuing 2G so my Motorola flip-phone wouldn't work anymore. :(

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
I went from iPhone 12 Pro Max to iPhone 15 Plus and I don’t regret it at all. It actually FEELS like NEW device. When I was holding the 15 Pro Max at the Apple Store, it felt like I was just holding my old 12 PM. Pretty „eh“ about it. Down to it’s blue color looking almost identical.

I am also one of those people that do not notice ProMotion and I never take Macro photos. Weight and battery life was more important to me

Last edited:

Jared G.K.

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2023
Originally I wanted to skip the 15 series, because I had a 14, and because I didn't like the idea of an action button replacing the mute switch (which I used several times per day), and because of the big camera bump of the 15pro.
Then I went to the Apple Store and took a 15pro in my hands and was sold.

I have to say that even the regular 14 felt too bulky for me, but the 1mm narrower form factor of the 15pro made a big difference. I never believed this 1mm would change the feel in the hand so significantly! So I bought a 15pro eventually. And have since then enjoyed grabbing it and using it a lot - more than the other iPhones that I had in the last few years (maybe except the 13 mini).

I also tried the 15 non pros and they felt very pleasant - however, they are this 1mm wider then the 15pro......and one mm taller than even the 14!

(P.S. as you may have noticed, I'm very much into handy phones!)

• Haha
Reactions: Surfsalot

Jared G.K.

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2023
I also looked at the fine wovens, and actually liked their looks & feel. Only the sides could be grippier.
However, the exhibits they had in the store already showed wear (1 day after they put them on display), and not in a very pleasant form - unlike the leather cases with their patina that sometimes made them look even better, the fine wovens looked like a not in a good way worn piece of fabric (which in fact they were).
So they are not for me - I will go for an Aramid case, and maybe a silicone for rougher outings.

currocj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
Earth
I also looked at the fine wovens, and actually liked their looks & feel. Only the sides could be grippier.
However, the exhibits they had in the store already showed wear (1 day after they put them on display), and not in a very pleasant form - unlike the leather cases with their patina that sometimes made them look even better, the fine wovens looked like a not in a good way worn piece of fabric (which in fact they were).
So they are not for me - I will go for an Aramid case, and maybe a silicone for rougher outings.
But you can get much much nicer genuine leather from third party case makers (I got one for $49) and leather >>>>> finewoven

Matthew.H

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2015
Norwich, UK
Whilst I will agree about Youtubers buying multiple phones just to review and return is not ideal and is ultimately abusing the return policy, it's not really a massive issue given how many devices are made and sold.
The worse abuse to me is general people buying multiple phones because they don't know what colour to pick and then returning the opened ones they don't want. Just buy one and if your not happy return it, order a different colour and put up with the wait.
I could see a re-stocking fee going badly. What happens when you get a customer who has cosmetic flaws is isn't happy to keep that phone. They shouldn't have to lose money because they got a phone that was damaged out of the box.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.