Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mmmdreg

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 14, 2002
Sydney, Australia
The primary mac team, xlr8, has moved up to 6th place overall. We shall have them all soon :) 5th is in fairly close reach. The next placings after that we need to work a bit harder for, although yesterday we did more units than every team except no.1. So, if you want something new, distributed.net and RC5-72. Go Mac!

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
rc5-72 is easy, aint it breaking encryption?

How does that help?

That is less serious and seriously brute forcing key's...

If you can tell me how brute force is gonna help much of anything execpt hacking... :rolleyes:

Folding helps, well people.

MacRumors has two DC teams: Folding@Home
SETI@Home.

Folding has become the, uh, more active project, there hasn't been much change in SETI since the beginning anyway.

If you have more allegance to xlr8's DC team then whatever, who cares soo much?

But please.

Anyway cracking key's is totally random, seriously you could have a #1 team and still not crack the code.

Also it is $$ based, kinda greedy IMO.

mmmdreg

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 14, 2002
Sydney, Australia
Please note that the money is so small to be of any use, and that if you do a search, I was the one who first suggested a MR SETI team AFAIK (on the current boards anyway). Times change. I still run SETI a bit but after a bit of folding, I decided I didn't like the program so yeah. Also, the small-scale'ness of the Rc5- projects mean it is overall more enjoyable as one person can make a big difference. Think about it. And in case people want to have another go at me, don't bother replying if it's going to be "go join the MR teams".

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by mmmdreg
And in case people want to have another go at me, don't bother replying if it's going to be "go join the MR teams".

Sorry, did my reply sound like that?

You may be able to make a bigger difference, but for what, cracking encrpytion code...

I don't find that helping... much of anyone.

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
Distributed.net (RC5) Mission Statement

Distributed.net is not about "hacking"...
From http://www.distributed.net//mission.php
Mission Statement

distributed.net believes in the capability and potential of distributed computing. Our mission consists of three interdependent goals: development, deployment, and advocacy, to be pursued in the advancement of distributed computing.

We will develop open, easily portable, highly adaptable, best-of-breed software, as well as networks and other necessary infrastructure to support that software. We will do this by conducting and actively supporting distributed computing research of all kinds.

We will deploy our software to form an immense, globally distributed computer that solves large-scale problems and provides an accessible pool of computational power to projects that need it. This deployment will also demonstrate the real-world utility of both distributed computing in general and our software in particular.

Finally, we will advocate distributed computing, by encouraging global participation and contributions of processing power, bandwidth, and expertise; by providing a forum for discussion; and by raising awareness on the Internet and in the mainstream.

Aguably, the success of Distributed.net and SETI (which started at about the same time, as I recall) caused Folding and several other distributed computing projects to come to be.

Don't bash us Bovine crackers - if it weren't for us in the late 90's you Folders might not be folding right now :)

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
Re: If nothing else...

Originally posted by Nugget
...the cows are cool.
Moo!
moo_ani.gif

http://distributed.net

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.