Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ekauriphoneuser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2008
The piece of the charger that connects to my iphone fell into a glass of water last night....I don't know how long it was in it, and the charger was plugged in. As soon as I saw, I dried it and connected it to the phone, but all I get now is an error message -- this accessory is not for use with iPhone, do you want Airport mode, and so forth.

What should I do? How can I make things start to work properly again?

(The nearest Apple store is about 4-5 hours away...)

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Leave it for 48 hours before plugging it in? If its just the charger, try leaving it for 48 hours then try plugging it in again. Otherwise just buy a replacement. I assume the iPhone itself is OK.

ekauriphoneuser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2008
thank you eraserhead; i hope the charger does work after 48 hours -- it's now ~36 hours, and nothing is happening (even the error message no longer appears).

The unit was plugged in when the end fell into water -- is that likely to make a difference? (I've tried connecting the USB charger cable to the computer to check if maybe the unit short-circuited, but it doesn't make a difference.)

The phone, btw, works just fine. It's just running out of charge :( .

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
thank you eraserhead; i hope the charger does work after 48 hours -- it's now ~36 hours, and nothing is happening (even the error message no longer appears).

You aren't supposed to try it for 48 hours to give it a chance to completely dry out. Putting power through it if its still wet will damage it.

The unit was plugged in when the end fell into water -- is that likely to make a difference?

Yes.

The phone, btw, works just fine. It's just running out of charge :( .

Good, so you are only $20 out then ;). Make sure if you drop something electrical in water again that you leave it for 48 hours before trying it so it has the chance to completely dry out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.