Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

strykul

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2021
Hello all,
I've just received my new WF-1000MX3 headset. For the first time I've connected them to my MBP 13" 2020 (Intel 8th Gen). Sound seems to be horrible (conversation on Webex sounds like highly compressed MP3 from 2000s, as well as Spotify), sometimes left earphone disconnects, sound is mostly shredded. I went through many BT headsets (mostly Momentum 3 and Elite 65t) with this Mac and non of them had any issues so far. I've tried to turn on aptX via BT explorer, but it's missing from latest Xcode tools. I used this manual: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/aac-aptx-force-on-big-sur.2274440/ - with no success. Any clues?

leventozler

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2009
First, AAC works much better with WF-1000MXx. You can choose connection priority (quality vs stability - which defaults to low quality SBC) via iPhone app.

Once connected, option + click the bluetooth icon to confirm the codec.

Note that for the last couple of years, macOS only fallbacks to SBC if there are two or more other bluetooth devices connected. You probably won't need Xcode tools to force AAC/aptX on MBP since you're not using BT keyboard + mouse.

Redhead101

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2018
Hello all,
I've just received my new WF-1000MX3 headset. For the first time I've connected them to my MBP 13" 2020 (Intel 8th Gen). Sound seems to be horrible (conversation on Webex sounds like highly compressed MP3 from 2000s, as well as Spotify), sometimes left earphone disconnects, sound is mostly shredded. I went through many BT headsets (mostly Momentum 3 and Elite 65t) with this Mac and non of them had any issues so far. I've tried to turn on aptX via BT explorer, but it's missing from latest Xcode tools. I used this manual: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/aac-aptx-force-on-big-sur.2274440/ - with no success. Any clues?
strykul have you tried this:

strykul

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2021
strykul have you tried this:

Yes I did, no changes.

First, AAC works much better with WF-1000MXx. You can choose connection priority (quality vs stability - which defaults to low quality SBC) via iPhone app.

Once connected, option + click the bluetooth icon to confirm the codec.

Note that for the last couple of years, macOS only fallbacks to SBC if there are two or more other bluetooth devices connected. You probably won't need Xcode tools to force AAC/aptX on MBP since you're not using BT keyboard + mouse.
I switched to Sound Quality on mobile app, Mac shows:

Zrzut ekranu 2021-01-11 o 11.20.47.png

It changes nothing with the problems. It still have in the background sounds like someone cleaning windows out there.

EDIT: One observation - the problem appears only when Cisco Webex/Skype are on - I presume then, that it's being caused by HFP profile...

Last edited:

MiltonThales

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2008
Suwanee, GA
I recently upgraded to 11.1 on my 2020 iMac Intel i9. Since then my bluetooth mouse has frequently become unresponsive. This seems to be a bluetooth software problem in 11.1.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.