Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
2015 smartphones have been launched by now, and in the rear view mirror. Some highlights were the Note 5, Nexus 6P, I guess the iPhone 6S Plus possibly, and the affordable OnePlus X, and Moto X.

So coming soon in 2016, what has you drooling and ready to purchase some sweet SD820 phones ?

My list in order of release;

- HTC One M10 ( Hopefully HTC is still around, and can finally put out a killer phone, that wow'd us like the One M8 )

- LG G5 ? I'm hoping they have a OLED display, and keep the small form factor.

- OnePlus Three ( SD820 with an AMOLED display, and build like the One X )

- iPhone 7 ( I'm most interested in if iOS 10 is revamped and is just revised a ton, and of course the design of the phone itself should be a top notch style )

- Note 6 should be killer

- Nexus-N ( Hopefully 5.7" screen size, maybe made by Sony ? )

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
The One M10 and see if HTC can win me back from Samsung.

The Note 6 of course, hoping for continued improvements to touchwiz and hopefully an all metal design.

iPhone 7/7 Plus. Looking forward to shrunken bezels and maybe even saying goodbye to the home button.

Honorable mentions, the S7 (a preview of the note 6), G5, Xperia Z.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I've given up hoping for htc to get it together.

I'm looking forward to:

Galaxy s7 - I predict subtle redesign. Even more improvements to the camera and finger prints. And hopefully even cleaner touchwiz? You have the hardware down, Samsung. Give us the software to match.

IPhone 7 - redesign year! This generation iPhone is still ugly in my opinion. I think this is something people will start realizing once the new design comes along. Also, what be feature will apple "perfect"? Maybe wireless charging at last? Some form of the magnetic charger similar to what's charging the apple watch more?

Maybe the nexus. Can anyone say 5p?

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I am looking forward to the Sony Xperia z5 Premium this year....

Next year
Galaxy S7, HTC M10, Note 6, iPhone 7, Moto X 2016, Nexus

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
Is project Ara happening in 2016? If it is, that's what I'm most looking forward to.

I haven't been impressed with smartphones in 2015. Of course, there have been impressive individual devices, but the variety that attracted me to Android in 2013 has largely gone. No one has made a phone that is a better fit for me than what was available in 2013/2014, and since everyone is following the same path I don't see than changing. I want the ability to configure my own phone like I can configure my own computer.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Nothing on the immediate horizon really gets my blood pumping. Samsung never has really caught my attention because I dislike their software. I loved the One M7 but HTC has regressed every year since then and IMO, are 'dead man walking' in the smartphone industry. I find LG the least compelling (don't like their hardware design or software), Motorola seems in a bit of a downward spiral thanks to Lenovo's leadership (or lack there of), and Sony...well, they continue to offer next to nothing here in the US so I'll reserve any excitement for their products until they actually sell their phones here.

As an Apple fan, of course I'm curious about the next iPhone but probably more intrigued about changes to iOS (or lack of ). Considering what a solid device the Nexus 6P seems to be, I'm probably most excited to see what Google offers late next year.

Reactions: epicrayban

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
The best smartphone that can be bought for under $200 and especially one with a removable battery. So probably something from LG for removal battery or Xiaomi, Meizu, or ASUS for value. Flagships are oversized, overpriced, and overrated nowadays. Among a flagship, maybe the Samsung Galaxy S7 edge unless Samsung scraps edge and just calls it S7 with the dual edged screen. HTC One M10 draws ZERO interest for me. I don't care it is the best looking phone evah! They are on a slippery slope. Neither for iPhone 7 since I don't care about better "experience for dummies" called iOS. I also hope Sony can actually try to compete with the Xiaomi and ASUS. They make nice phones but offer very little value.

The midrange market is the one to pay attention to. Most 2013-2014 flagship specs should be trickling down to that level and with a more reasonable size, resolution, and price. I don't need a Quad HD or Ultra HD screen on a smartphone. The resolution is already higher on phones than most people's TV's and laptops. Is that 100 more ppi really needed? And all phones in any platform deteriorate in performance after a few years. Why pay more or carry something large with a resolution you don't need when the inevitable end happens to all of them? And many phones have the CORE functionality most people need.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
iPhone 7 (might be cool to check out at least) and any Samsung Ultra HD phone... Galaxy S7 edge+?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Nothing on the immediate horizon really gets my blood pumping. Samsung never has really caught my attention because I dislike their software. I loved the One M7 but HTC has regressed every year since then and IMO, are 'dead man walking' in the smartphone industry. I find LG the least compelling (don't like their hardware design or software), Motorola seems in a bit of a downward spiral thanks to Lenovo's leadership (or lack there of), and Sony...well, they continue to offer next to nothing here in the US so I'll reserve any excitement for their products until they actually sell their phones here.

As an Apple fan, of course I'm curious about the next iPhone but probably more intrigued about changes to iOS (or lack of ). Considering what a solid device the Nexus 6P seems to be, I'm probably most excited to see what Google offers late next year.
I think the iPhone 7 is going to be widely anticipated as Apple killed it with the 6s. I kind of can't wait to see what they have up their sleeve and what the market is going to look like next September.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
I will likely just be an observer for 2016.

Hoping qualcomm gets their act together. Nexus & Sony are the only android brands appealing to me at the moment. Moto is dead to me if they keep on their current path. I'm always hoping for a true overhaul with Samsung (and LG) software but I'm not holding my breath :p

I still don't think there is a true upgrade to my old trusty GS4 GPE :( , either have to give up features or size or good software (imo)

Interested in the iphone 7 just for the sake of it but surely I will stick with the 6S next year

Some kind of intel x86 based surface dreamphone that can run anything is probably the most exciting development I can think of

Last edited:

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
The HTC One M10 could be killer if they got certain things right. I predict a 5.5-inch QHD AMOLED display, Snapdragon 820, fingerprint scanner, redesigned speakers like the ones in the first concept in #2, USB C, minimalist bezels (goodbye front logo), same rear design as the A9, better camera. That would be a great phone.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
Since the MX4 Ubuntu is sold out and has been for quite a while, I'd like to see what the next "high end" Ubuntu phone is. Sailfish OS has been separated from Jolla so I'd like to see some other Sailfish phones. I hope that Samsung brings some Tizen phones to the west next year.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
How good some of the Android flagships is dependent how good the latest Qualcomm Snapdragons will be next year. The first 64-bit, 810, disappointed because of heat. So Android OEM's across the board who used it suffered.

Reason Samsung could be the one to watch (again) is foldable displays. They also beat Android OEM's in the camera department and aren't dependent on Qualcomm like the others. They are a true OEM if they want to be. The dual edge displays of the S6/S6+ edges is only Season 1. I am curious how they will refine it next year and what useful software features they can add to the displays.

HTC One M10 will get some fanfare with pre-release hype on how cool the design will be like, and then majority of consumers won't buy it and forget about it by next summer. LG G5 could be discounted after two months. Motorola's flagship too. Americans never get a proper Sony Xperia Z flagship subsidized. And when they do, another Sony flagship comes out. Microsoft Lumias have become for the budget conscious and WP is still a distant 3rd in the major markets. Xiaomi, Meizu, ASUS, and Oppo are still unknowns.

It is a Apple v Google & Samsung market in the US/Europe industry. But I am curious with the hardware innovations Samsung will come up with and who copies that dual edge style. Samsung absolutely nailed that PLATINUM GOLD option. The iPhones as champagne gold are arguably uglier compared to Samsung S6 edge in plat gold. I am definitely more curious what the Galaxy S7 (edge) offers for Season 2 than iPhone 7 after Season 10. Most new tech don't really start to mature until Season 3-5 though.

three

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2008
Most interested in the next HTC flagship at this point. This phone, from what we all know, will be the saving grace or the death of HTC. I just hope they can pull a truly amazing device out the bag this time around. I just want HTC to succeed.

Also interested in seeing what OnePlus does with the 3. Hoping for AMOLED and the death of the invite system. :D

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
S7, iPhone 7 and if Samsung comes out with that rumored foldable screen phone.

If Sony is still in the game I hope they release a Z6 Compact. The Z5 Compact was so close, all it needed was slightly more comfortable edges, a little bit bigger display (less bezel) and something other than the SD810 chip.

Reactions: gotluck

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
iPhone 7 for me. Now that I own an Apple watch, that pretty much locks me into the ecosystem. Plus my family will be firmly entrenched in iOS, with my two kids getting iPhones early next years

Reactions: ChrisTX

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
iPhone 7 for me. Now that I own an Apple watch, that pretty much locks me into the ecosystem. Plus my family will be firmly entrenched in iOS, with my two kids getting iPhones early next years
How are you liking your Apple watch? How has that experience been for you? Just curious........is it practical to have an AW and an iphone? I had an opportunity to get one as trade for my Nexus 6P the other and almost pulled the trigger so that is why I am asking. :)

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
The family having an iPhone is a big factor; FaceTime, iCloud sharing, find my friends and to a lesser extent iMessage makes communication and sharing painless. Yes our family has fmf turned on so we all can find each other in the event of a "situation". My son had a moto x, said he liked it but hangouts for v-chat never seemed to work as well as FaceTime. When I got the 6s we shuffled phones, instead of selling the phone offered the option to him to take the phone and sell the moto and he decided he wanted the 5s.

Last edited:

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
FOLDABLE DISPLAYS !!! That's by far the biggest thing I'm looking forward to and eclipses all else. If no foldable display in 2016 then I'll be excited to see the iPhone 7, but like others hope they update iOS past 2012. Otherwise I don't see anyone making anything very exciting, it's all the same but slightly tweaked or glamorized. I do look forward to seeing high end phones at mid range prices, we already saw some of that in 2015.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.