Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Neil27

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2020
Replacing a now dead Mac Pro 5.1 with a -
21.5 inch iMac
i5 six core
32gb Ram
1 tb ssd
AMD Radeon Pro 560x

Update - after 2 hours of running the iMac, still under warranty went kaput, fortunately the seller agreed to a swap, so now decided on a 6.1 Mac Pro, 6 core, dual D500, 64Gb ram, 1 td SSD. I‘ll be leaving this thread shortly. ??

Update number 2 - the Mac Pro 6.1 arrived DOA (you couldn't make it up), money refunded and ordered an Apple refurbished from the store -
21.5 inch iMac
i3 quad core
16GB Ram
512GB SSD
AMD Radeon Pro 555x

Added the 3 year warranty for good measure and worked out cheaper.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
just seen this thread, purchased mine early 2019.
  • Intel Core i5 9th Gen processor.
  • Hex core processor.
  • Processor speed 3.7GHz.
  • 8GB RAM DDR4.
Hard drive:

• 2TB .
Graphics:

• AMD Radeon Pro 580X graphics card with 8GB memory
I know the memory can be replaced easily, how about changing the fusion drive to SSD? Worth doing?

Is it possible to change the CPU?
[automerge]1595015243[/automerge]

What do you use it for?

Also how did you explain to your wife why you need it? ???
Completely wild to me that people have to get approval from their spouse to purchase things.

wardie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
Completely wild to me that people have to get approval from their spouse to purchase things.

Are you married? :) I would say _for me_ a new expensive computer is just above the “marital governance threshold”. But then I bought a shiny new OLED TV recently “out of governance”... burnt some credits there.

Reactions: Martyimac

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
Are you married? :) I would say _for me_ a new expensive computer is just above the “marital governance threshold”. But then I bought a shiny new OLED TV recently “out of governance”... burnt some credits there.
I am not married, but I've been dating my spouse for 7 years. Though I don't see getting married changing our current way of life much, this is still kind of a foreign concept to me. I very much value my individuality and self-autonomy. Not to the point where I'd go out and buy a ridiculous sports car or anything lol, but where I can purchase the things I'm interested in without having to sway my other half.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.