Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Hey,

as I own a nMP, and we've had all these endless discussions about 4k support in OSX, does Yosemite bring ANY improvement to the table? I mean, ok yes we now have retina support for 4k displays in the old fashioned rmbp way. But what about UI scaling? There seems to be no improvement whatsoever.. ?

So we're not getting a 4k display from apple this year I assume?

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I don't think Apple will introduce UI scaling, it introduces too many problems. The rmbp way is how it'll be.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
I mean, ok yes we now have retina support for 4k displays in the old fashioned rmbp way. But what about UI scaling? There seems to be no improvement whatsoever.. ?

The rMBP is the UI scaling approach. They don't let you pick an arbitrary number, but that's the only difference from the original implementation Apple showed. Besides that, it's actual the actual UI scaling code Apple had been talking about before, shipping.

That's as good as it's going to get.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
So we either have to wait for 5k, or use windows on the nMP in order to get the best out of a 4k display. Lame!

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
So we either have to wait for 5k, or use windows on the nMP in order to get the best out of a 4k display. Lame!

How do you figure?

I hook up my rMBP to a 4K display on a daily basis for Excel work. Works fantastic. I then enable 'Retna' mode when I need scaled elements. Again, works fantastic.

What about the current implementation doesn't work?

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Say there would be a 28" 4k IPS Display.

Using retina (pixel doubled) mode give me the screen estate of a 24" display.
Using any of the other scaled modes still gives OK, but not ideal results.

I want the screen space of a 27" display but with the sharpness of retina and the advantage of 1:1 pixel sized videos in it (after effects work).

https://www.macrumors.com/2014/06/04/retina-imacs-yosemite-beta/ Obviously apple has understood the issue and is working on a solution, but it'll take a while.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.