Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
With so many ranking and grading systems and sites and organisations and institutes and whatnot, I'm finding that the only thing I really can trust and allow to influence my buying decisions is my own impression when actually testing the phone. Or opinions of users whose judgement I trust, for example some of the long time posters here in the MacRumors 'Alternatives' section.

Not only because I have no idea who the people behind some of these "authorities" are, but also because how good a phone camera is depends on so many more factors than specs and tests done in clinical situations. One of them being each user's particular way of using their camera. One camera may have fantastic potential in the hands of someone with a bit of photography know-how and experience, but be too slow or technically demanding for a crappy non-photographer like myself to get any worthwhile photos with.

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
I don't care what rankings say. I have the Xs Max in front of me and it takes great pictures, whether I shoot RAW or not. I also absolutely love the Portrait mode - no other phone can beat it. Apple actually shapes the bokeh and such, while others just apply a bigger and bigger blur. The edge detection can be improved though.

Last edited:

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
The best camera is the camera you got period. For family gatherings, work events, day to day pictures a camera on a Note 10 Plus is pretty amazing especially 4K 60 FPS with Stablization.

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
Phone arena just did a blind test, the note 10 was beaten by the pixel and iphone XS in that test.

The general consensus is the pixel seems to be the best phone camera out there.

All these rankings and tests are all over the place.
I don't put much salt in any if them personally.

I certainly dont see the LG line being better than a Pixel, therefore this ranking seems bit screwed up.

Last edited:
Reactions: tbayrgs and jamezr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.