Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zac2302

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2018
Hi,
I'm starting college/university in September and I'm overdue a new laptop and I've decided I want to get a 13" Macbook Pro (without touch-bar). However, I'm not sure whether I should/need to upgrade the processor, memory or storage of the Macbook, or keep it at the basic model; being the i5 processor, 8gb memory and 128gb SSD?
I'll be using the laptop for general school work like typing up work and browsing on the internet, as well as occasional film watching and Netflix use. I'd like the laptop to get me through all of college/university and ideally last about 5-7 years if I'm lucky.
So, what would you educated people suggest? Many thanks!

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Apple didn't refresh the non-Touch Bar model. I'd recommend waiting until they do, most likely in October, if you plan to keep it for 5-7 years.
[doublepost=1531501809][/doublepost]Or you could get a Touch Bar model now, but they are overpriced so expect to pay a bit more for it.

Reactions: zac2302

zac2302

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2018
Apple didn't refresh the non-Touch Bar model. I'd recommend waiting until they do, most likely in October, if you plan to keep it for 5-7 years.
[doublepost=1531501809][/doublepost]Or you could get a Touch Bar model now, but they are overpriced so expect to pay a bit more for it.
Ah ok I didn't know they were planning to refresh the non-touch bar models so I'll have to think about that but I'm definitely no buying the touch bar models because I think they're a bit expensive and it doesn't really interest me. If I did go with the the current model would you suggest any upgrades or keep it as the basic model?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.