Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dreadthenight

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2022
Hello All! You can see something is drastically wrong with Screen Time on one of my iPads from this screenshot. How is it possible that a child can ignore Screen Time limits for a day once the limits are hit? I have been browsing in the Apple community forums today and see people asking about this, but the responses seem to either suggest turning on a Screen Time passcode (one is already set here), or reading the Apple article about setting up Screen Time (not helpful).

Other than not having a Screen Time passcode set, what are the other scenarios that would result in kids being able to simply ignore the Screen Time limits for a day?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_2380.jpeg
    IMG_2380.jpeg
    442.7 KB · Views: 733

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
I have no idea if this would actually work, but could the child be setting the iPad's date and time beyond midnight to reset the limit?

SenorWhyMe

Suspended
Apr 1, 2021
would be cool if they made it not just passcode but manually lock and unlock through your phone only

w5jck

Suspended
Nov 9, 2013
If you can't get the "child proof" lid off of a bottle of medicine, hand it to your child and they will figure it out. If you can't manage to get back into your iPad, hand it to your child and they will figure it out. Children are very resourceful, probably because they are so curious, and young enough that we adults haven't screwed up their brains yet and reprogrammed them to be as confused as we are. :cool:

Spotlighter9

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2021
Anyone else driven mad by the inability to toggle off the option to "one more minute"?!! What's the point of screen time parental controls if Apple just allows your kids to "one more minute" each of their restricted apps for 20 minutes! Very disappointing Apple still hasn't addressed this.

Ruggy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2017
It just doesn't work very well.
The first problem - and it isn't limited to screen time but other apps of the ilk- is it doesn't switch the machine off at the set time. It will only block them if they switch off and then try to go back in again. If they leave the app open it will allow them to carry on forever.
Secondly, it only works with certain apps. Somethings don't get picked up at all. From memory Youtube app isn't picked up as screen time (but it's been a while so I may have mis-remembered). Also if they use Chrome and not Safari I think.
Thirdly, it seems not to coordinate well between devices so if they are using a phone and an ipad for instance it just doesn't do the addition.
I gave up on it as it was never correct- not even for me and I wasn't trying to beat it just see how much I was using my devices.
The only thing I got to work was a modem with good time controls available in the interface. Then you can block content, time and device so you can block social media and streaming to their device after 7pm but allow them to do their homework for instance.
You can also block adult content and run anti-virus before it gets to their machines. It's a bit of an investment but it's by far and away the best solution
Another trick that is useful in some circumstances is to use a third party DNS service with controls. Open DNS for instance will allow you to block sites and content and it's very unlikely they'll ever figure out how.
If they have a phone with a data plan though then they can always use their data and it's pretty easy to set up a hotspot too, so nothing is a total solution.
A combination of things is the best way and an alarm going off at a set time when they have to hand in all devices.
Afterthought: you may already have time controls in your modem so it's worth checking out. You'll need to find how to get into the interface (which is usually 192.168.0.1) and you'll need the log in and password although they are often 'user' and 'password' if you've never changed them. Otherwise they are likely on a label on the bottom

Last edited:

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
It just doesn't work very well.
The first problem - and it isn't limited to screen time but other apps of the ilk- is it doesn't switch the machine off at the set time. It will only block them if they switch off and then try to go back in again. If they leave the app open it will allow them to carry on forever.
Secondly, it only works with certain apps. Somethings don't get picked up at all. From memory Youtube app isn't picked up as screen time (but it's been a while so I may have mis-remembered). Also if they use Chrome and not Safari I think.
Thirdly, it seems not to coordinate well between devices so if they are using a phone and an ipad for instance it just doesn't do the addition.
I gave up on it as it was never correct- not even for me and I wasn't trying to beat it just see how much I was using my devices.
The only thing I got to work was a modem with good time controls available in the interface. Then you can block content, time and device so you can block social media and streaming to their device after 7pm but allow them to do their homework for instance.
You can also block adult content and run anti-virus before it gets to their machines. It's a bit of an investment but it's by far and away the best solution
Another trick that is useful in some circumstances is to use a third party DNS service with controls. Open DNS for instance will allow you to block sites and content and it's very unlikely they'll ever figure out how.
If they have a phone with a data plan though then they can always use their data and it's pretty easy to set up a hotspot too, so nothing is a total solution.
A combination of things is the best way and an alarm going off at a set time when they have to hand in all devices.
Afterthought: you may already have time controls in your modem so it's worth checking out. You'll need to find how to get into the interface (which is usually 192.168.0.1) and you'll need the log in and password although they are often 'user' and 'password' if you've never changed them. Otherwise they are likely on a label on the bottom
Why should it switch off the machine?
It doesn't allow to carry on forever, if the app is kept open. You can only get one minute more, after that you need the passcode.
Maybe it doesn't work with certain apps, but I tried it with all of mine (Youtube included) and it worked with all of them.

Reactions: NoGood@Usernames

Dreadthenight

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2022
Thanks everyone! I ended up completely removing Screen Time and then setting it up again fresh... with a different passcode. I no longer see the ignore for a day option, so I think the issue has been resolved somehow. (And yes, I can't rule out that I was shoulder surfed and the original passcode was compromised... but the 10yr old seemed sincere that he didn't have it.)

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
I had this problem on the kid’s iPad and the setting that was off and allowed the ”ignore for one day” was ”Block at Downtime” which is located at the bottom in:

Settings > (the Apple ID of the individual in question) Screen Time > Downtime

I also turned on the Screen Time passcode in:

Settings > (the Apple ID of the individual in question) Screen Time

Which for some reason was off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.