Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seitsme

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2017
-
hello,

i just replaced my old hdd with a plextor SSD px-128m6pro on my macbook late 2009 which was under osx 10.6.x.

i made a bootable usb with high sierra on it and when in open disk utility to format the ssd,
i get a variety of APFS options such as

encrypted, case sensitive, non case sensitive etc. I got stuck at installation immediately...

So, may i ask the crowds, what is the best choice of APFS type/ format for this SSD please ?
Do i also need specific Highsierra version for this disk as well ?

In the past i used hfs+ extended, which i am not sure if it was case sensitive or not,
to choose something similar, but i need it to have approx same features as extended format.

so, if hfs+ by default was case sensitive could you let me know to make right selection at first go please ?

also what encrypted will do to the ssd ? will it make it a bit slower and ask me for password at startup during
encryption ? Dont understant what encryption will offer to the startup disk.

In this ssd i will add photoshop and fcp for video editing. i have 2gb ram which will also make the 8 later on.

thanks

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
IF possible, I would suggest HFS+ with journaling enabled.
Do you see that option available?

I wouldn't mess with APFS.
Too many problems.

Reactions: h9826790

seitsme

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2017
-
i see option but even after that, i get now error that there are no packages to copy etc and i should restart the installer, but still after that, i cannot install os.

i also see the mac now boots into recovery mode without osx present on ssd...

seitsme

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2017
-
finally.... it all worked and have high sierra on the macbook.
it seems a bootable bootbudy usb with osx worked best of all.
thanks all of you guys for the help insofar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.