Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2007
Open the Gmail iPhone app > menu > gear icon

Full instructions:
https://support.google.com/mail/answer/1205758?hl=en

I see. You have to set up the gmail inbox on your computer to do this.

----------

Some more questions...:)

I'm now seeing gmail alerts on my watch. How does the watch know to offer archive as an option for the mail since the gmail app is not made for the watch?

And is there a way to choose "delete" instead of archive.

And does "dismiss" just dismiss the alert?

And lastly. I've never had my phone set up to show emails on my lock screen. Now this seems to have to be enabled to get the gmail notifications on the watch. Is there any way around this? Are you getting your gmails on your lock screen?

simonx314

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2015
I'm now seeing gmail alerts on my watch. How does the watch know to offer archive as an option for the mail since the gmail app is not made for the watch?
?

I don't know the answer to your other questions, but the "archive" option is an example of an interactive notification, a design feature added in iOS 8. Apple Watch supports the same interactive notifications that Gmail already implemented on the iPhone, so while the Gmail app does not have any specific Apple Watch features, the iOS 8 features it implements carry over to the Watch.

Gmail notifications show up on my iPhone lock screen.

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2007
I don't know the answer to your other questions, but the "archive" option is an example of an interactive notification, a design feature added in iOS 8. Apple Watch supports the same interactive notifications that Gmail already implemented on the iPhone, so while the Gmail app does not have any specific Apple Watch features, the iOS 8 features it implements carry over to the Watch.

Gmail notifications show up on my iPhone lock screen.

Thanks for all your response. :D

simonx314

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2015
Thanks for all your response. :D

You're welcome. I hope you are enjoying your Watch as much as I am. All this talk about Gmail has motivated me to finally read up on how to use Inbox, Google's "successor to Gmail". Someone else on these forums was saying the notifications worked well on the Apple Watch so I've just disabled Gmail notifications and enabled Inbox.

http://www.google.com/inbox/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.