Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Suppose Apple announces their tablet. What accessories will consumers be buying to go with them?

Which would you want if you bought a tablet?

There's a large third-party market surrounding other Apple products, and the tablet should be no exception.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I think the tablet itself would be enough. It falls into a MID category I've been looking at for some time.

Accessories would probably mean something external and I don't want to have to deal with plugging stuff in.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Chances are that Apple will sell some third-party accessories in the online Apple Store and in their retail stores, but there will be a much bigger independent market.

Most iPhone cases are for protecting the phone while you use it, in contrast to MacBook cases for enclosing and protecting the computer while you are not using it. Tablets are in between so we might need both.

AkronElliott

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2009
Hand gestures

Hand gestures for "networking" with other wired / wireless devices around. Tossing a file to the ipod or mac or to the printer.

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I'll bite...

Hopefully there will be screen protectors and cases of some sort (such as a neoprene zipper case from Incase or the like).

I am hoping that it is small enough to fit in a decent size purse, in which case one of the "accessories" I will purchase is a new purse to carry it in. :D

bearbear

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2008
A case that holds the tablet in one half and a bluetooth keyboard in the other, like a laptop, when the need arises for serious typing.

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
A case that holds the tablet in one half and a bluetooth keyboard in the other, like a laptop, when the need arises for serious typing.

Yeah, some sort of docking station like that for table top use would be neat (assuming it fits in with the functionality).

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
It's an area not yet talked about -

Will this Tablet have a dock connector?
Is it to be used independently/docked to a Mac, or can it be used to dock a iPhone/Touch to?
Dependent on the OS this has different effects. I'd say it'll likely be some kind of larger iPhone OS - and it may well not have a 32 dock connector.

(What if they had LightPeak ready for v1/ v2 (I'd imagine a refresh cycle more akin to the MacBooks than the ATV, MAcBook Air etc
(And the tablet also begs the question - what happens to the MacBook Air - is the TAblet is a MacTablet Air type thing?))

In terms of accessories, I think if they're doing medical stuff - they'll have had to do FDA approval, or at the very least have designed it to be hospital compatible,and have to run the licensing and authorising of such a device in the medical workplace.

This event - the Tablet launch, iPhone v4, is likely why we haven't seen the wireless/wired medical accessories yet - They'll get launched together.
(There is I feel a backlog of accessories - I think Apple's been putting these on hold till the Tablet/ 4G iPhone/Touch).

Going along Ihnatko's lines, don't expect BT to do much. the quote is in the 5W thread in this forum, but basically, they want you to use the hardware they gave. They don't want keyboards, mice attached to iPhones , and that'll hold to an extent with Tablets (Unless they have a iMac like aluminium docking station...)

Beyond that? ANT+, medical wireless things - iTunes X will likely bring wireless syncing, we'll likely see a Front Row/iTunes change (with moves towards a Web based front end to iTunes (see the Apple KeyChest moves against DECE etc)...

There's a difference to what APple wants for accessories and what people want. Sure some will want to hack it. Most will go with authorised accessories - The majority of folks will be getting the products of the ever so secretive Made for iPhone and Works for iPod group (Which will now be the "Made for iPhone & Tablet and works for iPod" group?

Covers, hard shells, laminate covers for the screen for anti-smudges (though the oleophobic cover on the iPhone will come to the iTablet in all likelihood). If it has USB3, then you've got all those things.
It comes down to what OS this thing will have.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
The current Bluetooth keyboard which I have should do the trick for typing. As for docking I hope it's FireWire as well as USB 2. USB take way to long for large files.

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
The current Bluetooth keyboard which I have should do the trick for typing. As for docking I hope it's FireWire as well as USB 2. USB take way to long for large files.

It'll be USB 2.

As for my wish list: a dock-connector, natch, for when it's syncing with a host Mac/PC (which will presumably be part of its functionality - I'd be gobsmacked if it wasn't tied into iTunes somehow); and a built-in "kickstand" for when it's being used as a monitor with a BT keyboard or simply to view media.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
The tablet may well not have MacBook like connections. This is a souped up iPhone methinks more and more.
Dock Connector, MagSafe, separate/joint optical audio in, out.

greygray

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
I would want wireless charging (if possible) and iSkin to create a red iSkin Solo case to pair it up with my 3GS and iPod touch! :)

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
A tablet with two 30" Apple Cinema Displays would look nice on my desk. :)

I'm thinking that Apple either
a) Brings the Media Out interface patent tech forward - and gets video coming out of iPhones, Tablets via the 30 pin connector
b) has miniDisplay Port, updated
c) Light Peak
Seems a) more likely for new dock/ATV update, b most likely unless this device has USB ports, c is unlikely till 2G iSlate.
If it's OS X, it could have USB/FW etc, and be more likely to have a miniDisplayPort. I think it's more likely it'll be a 30 pin connector only, no USB.

Apple's been very consistent with the 30 pin connector, it's likely USB 3 compatible, and until Light Peak, there ain't nothing else coming. They might even have dual wield LP and dock connector for a bit.
We'll see.

mkelly

Cancelled
Nov 29, 2007
A tablet with two 30" Apple Cinema Displays would look nice on my desk. :)

LOL! High expectations indeed (I'd be 2nd in line).

More realistically, I'm just hoping for Bluetooth peripheral support, specifically keyboards. That is, unless Apple really wows me with an unexpectedly cool input system.

So far I've heard nothing about the possibility of GPS being included in this thing. If it isn't, at least you could use an external Bluetooth GPS device with it (maybe).

robfromabove

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2010
More realistically, I'm just hoping for Bluetooth peripheral support, specifically keyboards. That is, unless Apple really wows me with an unexpectedly cool input system.

I second that motion.

Also, some kind of clip/suction cup device for "temporary" car installs (as in I could remove it to charge inside as I please) - would be nice while waiting for lights to turn :)

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
I second that motion.

Also, some kind of clip/suction cup device for "temporary" car installs (as in I could remove it to charge inside as I please) - would be nice while waiting for lights to turn :)

Isn't it more likely car manufacturers for 2010/2011 will be designing the cockpit for iSlate integration? Seems you'd need a decent recessed slate sized area. could work well. Could see the Mod community coming on with this, but it's just going to stoke the legislation fire if people start having it on whilst moving. How can a slate tell the difference between being on a train/passenger in a car, vs being on whilst a driver's watching and driving?

tobylee703

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2010
Hong Kong
iPad Accessories and Usage.

According to Apple.com:apple:
Accessories
There are lots of great accessories that have been specifically designed for iPad. The Keyboard Dock, for instance, is a dock with a full-size keyboard. There’s also a standalone Dock. And because iPad has built-in Bluetooth 2.1, it’ll work with an Apple Wireless Keyboard, too. There’s also a Camera Connection Kit that lets you import photos from a camera or SD card. There’s even an iPad Case that not only protects it, it also allows you to use iPad in various positions, to make it easy to type, look at photos, or watch movies. And through a range of accessories, iPad can output to TVs, projectors and displays.

Ipad is coming out in April and I believe everyone have different ideas on how to use this hardware. To me it is a great portable movie player, but I sure would like it to have a after market stand or something. What do you guys think?

Lets do a thread on this:
(Please follow the format)

USAGE - WHAT KINDA HARDWARE TO SUPPORT

Attachments

• usb_connectors_20100127.jpg
    usb_connectors_20100127.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 659
  • usb_power_20100127.jpg
    usb_power_20100127.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 647
  • case_4_20100127.png
    case_4_20100127.png
    163.5 KB · Views: 185
  • case_5_20100127.png
    case_5_20100127.png
    117.1 KB · Views: 187
  • keyboard_dock_1_20100127.jpg
    keyboard_dock_1_20100127.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 181

tobylee703

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2010
Hong Kong
MOVIE!! - A portable stand that is also a protective bag and a stationary stand that is setup like a ipod stand for my home theater system.

WEB SURFING - A Cushion based iPad holder for used on the sofa or bed~!

PROTECTIVE CASE - Just like the case for iPhone!!

As for the official acceriores, I love teh keyboard and the dock. but the case looks too... not that nice. =)

Rapmastac1

macrumors 65816
Aug 5, 2006
In the Depths of the SLC!
I am still on the fence about this. On one side I'm really excited about this because I'm in the market for a new multimedia device (my touch has a cracked screen, still works though). It has a great interface and can do some amazing stuff and will only get better with time.

On the other side, this is the opposite of what I was thinking. I wanted a device with a user accessible file system that I could plug a thumb drive in and load and take off documents/music/pictures/programs etc as I need to.

It seems with a few accessories and some mucking around I could get this to work perfectly for what I need it to. There are some great alternatives out there but obviously none of them have the polish this device has.

I do want one and the first accessories I would have for it are the media card slot and that binder case shown above. I would probably opt for a third party plug solution though as they are usually MUCH cheaper and do the same thing. I would be using this for work and eventually when I start going to school. I would pick up a BT keyboard for it as well down the road.

I would be looking at the 64GB version as I have used all the space on my 16GB Touch and that is without photos, videos, address books, and documents/programs. Whether or not I would want the 3G version is all depending on the speeds of the network and whether or not I could tether it via BT to my Blackberry.

Here is the other device I was looking at that piqued my interest, it's more of what I want;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98alH6SughM&feature=fvw

Though not pretty, it does everything the iPad does without the flair but is far more usable in a work and school environment. There is another version of this that is just like the iPad and it has the keyboard dock type deal, except the keyboard dock has more hard drive space and a more powerful processor.

I'm just going to wait and see what happens. It's not going to be a day one purchase for me but if I like it and it gets good reviews (based on what IT IS and NOT what it isn't), then I may pick it up within a month of release.

tobylee703

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2010
Hong Kong
iPad looks much more stylish compare to the Lenovo. Although, not running OSX is not what I favor. As for 3G, it depends on how it works with the iphone 3GS i am using and the upcoming 4G. If it can be connected through BT as a modem, i think there is no point of having another monthly plan.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
I see with the keyboard accessory they still don't have a keypad. Will Apple ever listen to us?

sullym0n

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2009
According to the Apple site, the iPad supports any Apple Bluetooth keyboard. So I presume you could get the full size one and use that, and the standard dock :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.