Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jcmwwe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
What Apple Watch would I need to mainly use for counting steps and miles? Maybe use the mlb app. What is the model I would at least need for this? I might even look for used. Thanks.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
I agree with everyone else above, go with the Series 4 or newer, or the SE. It really depends on what your budget is and how much you're wiling to spend. It's like asking what car you need to get across town. Do you want a basic car like a Chevy or a Ford, or do you want a Ferrari? Or something in between?

But also... What iPhone do you have, and what iOS version is it running? That might make a difference too. watchOS versions require specific versions of iOS or newer. WatchOS 9 requires iOS 16, watchOS 8 requires iOS 15 or newer, watchOS 7 requires iOS 14 or newer, and so on. If you happen to be using an older iPhone with an old iOS version (or don't want to upgrade), then you'll want to make sure the watch you get is running a compatible watchOS version. For example, if you're using an iPhone 7 that can't be upgraded to iOS 16, then don't get a used Series 4 from someone who already upgraded it to watchOS 9...it won't work. The new SE, Series 8, and Ultra would automatically be off the table too, since they ship with watchOS 9.

By the way, the iPhone keeps track of steps and distance walked too I the Health app. Of course you'd need to keep it on you all the time though.

Last edited:

Jcmwwe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
I agree with everyone else above, go with the Series 4 or newer, or the SE. It really depends on what your budget is and how much you're wiling to spend. It's like asking what car you need to get across town. Do you want a basic car like a Chevy or a Ford, or do you want a Ferrari? Or something in between?

But also... What iPhone do you have, and what iOS version is it running? That might make a difference too. watchOS versions require specific versions of iOS or newer. WatchOS 9 requires iOS 16, watchOS 8 requires iOS 15 or newer, watchOS 7 requires iOS 14 or newer, and so on. If you happen to be using an older iPhone with an old iOS version (or don't want to upgrade), then you'll want to make sure the watch you get is running a compatible watchOS version. For example, if you're using an iPhone 7 that can't be upgraded to iOS 16, then don't get a used Series 4 from someone who already upgraded it to watchOS 9...it won't work. The new SE, Series 8, and Ultra would automatically be off the table too, since they ship with watchOS 9.

By the way, the iPhone keeps track of steps and distance walked too I the Health app. Of course you'd need to keep it on you all the time though.
Hi thanks. I have a iPhone se 2020, so that part is not a problem. I just didn’t want to spend more then I needed to just for those simple uses, is why I am asking. I do know iphone tracks steps. I just don’t have it on me all the time. Thanks for responding.

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
I'd also go for a 4 or SE - Series 3 is on it's way out. The 4 and SE got 30% more RAM, so they'll probably get longer support.

I got a series 6, because I was greedy at the time, but I hardly ever use the EEG, oxymeter or even the always on display (as I usually turn my wrist to look at the watch, so it turns on anyway - also I think it looks better without showing an image of the time). I'd rather get a SE now.

Reactions: nappes

Jcmwwe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Question, even if u don’t get all of the updates, the watch would still work and for still count steps and mikes right? Thanks

Jcmwwe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
A lot of u r saying se, can it be se series or series 2? Thanks

ndouglas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2022
If you’re really focused on counting steps, I’d say Fitbits are better for that. The AW counts steps, but their main displays among all the watch faces are about ”rings” which count calories burned and other stuff, not steps. It is always possible to view steps, but there’s no watch faces that easily display that. Just something to consider.

DigitalAR

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2022
Just don't buy the series 3. It is underpowered and no longer supported with the latest operating systems.
Yes I agree although it could technically track steps and miles and workouts

The MLB app would be sluggish on the S3.

I have an S4 ( which can be found for around $99) and it’s great. Not slow for me at all. Only time when I notice the speed it’s when I’m directly comparing it to my wife’s S6 and my friends S8.

Jcmwwe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
If you’re really focused on counting steps, I’d say Fitbits are better for that. The AW counts steps, but their main displays among all the watch faces are about ”rings” which count calories burned and other stuff, not steps. It is always possible to view steps, but there’s no watch faces that easily display that. Just something to consider.
Hi. I had thought about Fitbit but read they only last about a year fr most people’s reviews and I want something that is going to last. Plus do have some interest in mlb app, maybe others.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Hi so then a series 3 would work? What u recommend?

I just dumped my S3 for an Ultra. You don't need an Ultra for what you want to do, but the S3 will just be too frustrating and while it might do what you're asking of it you won't enjoy it. I kept it as long as I did because I already had it, but I'd have stopped recommending it a couple years ago.

Hi. I had thought about Fitbit but read they only last about a year fr most people’s reviews and I want something that is going to last. Plus do have some interest in mlb app, maybe others.
More support for avoiding series 3.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.