Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

silbeej

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2007
Was wondering what apps come standard on an iPad. From what i've seen there is no weather or clock app, nor a calculator. What is up with this and what else is missing?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Was wondering what apps come standard on an iPad. From what i've seen there is no weather or clock app, nor a calculator. What is up with this and what else is missing?

Messages, camera, stocks, weather, voice memos, and calculator.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR

There's been some speculation Apple ran out of time and didn't want to ship just a blown up (higher resolution graphics-only) version of Weather, Stocks, etc.

I guess we will see in the fall with iPad OS 4.

silbeej

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2007
I hope so since those may be simplified versions of what you can get elsewhere, however they are just that convenient to use which is why i like them.

ThoseBackPages

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2010
New York
its a good thing that there are missing ones, because its very annoying to have to leave them on the iphone, when i want them deleted

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002

Really no big b/c there are 3rd party apps (mostly free) with these functions and also better than the Apple apps.

Weather -- Weather Channel and Weather Bug
Stocks -- Bloomberg
Clock -- Alarm Music Clock (.99)
Calculator -- Calculator XL and Jumbo Calculator
Voice Memos -- Sundry Notes (does a lot more than voice memos)

Bottom line: Whatever is missing... there's an app to replace that so no functionality is lost.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
Really no big b/c there are 3rd party apps (mostly free) with these functions and also better than the Apple apps.

Weather -- Weather Channel and Weather Bug
Stocks -- Bloomberg
Clock -- Alarm Music Clock (.99)
Calculator -- Calculator XL and Jumbo Calculator
Voice Memos -- Sundry Notes (does a lot more than voice memos)

Bottom line: Whatever is missing... there's an app to replace that so no functionality is lost.

Well, the alarm doesn't work on the clock if you don't have it running all time. Since there is no multitasking the alarm is quite useless. I don't get why they didn't include the clock.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.