Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

BobSc

Suspended
Mar 29, 2020
Try Picture in Picture and then restore. I could see the aspect ratio correct itself even in the Picture in Picture mode.
Yup. That also works to correct the aspect ratio.

Thanks to all who confirmed my observations. I've reported this issue via phone to Apple and HBO Max tech support.

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
This is one step to getting apps fixed by developers:

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
While not an aspect ratio issue, there is an update now to GoodNotes to support the new iPad mini, with the single finger panning setting for Apple Pencil users.

Reactions: jdb8167

Jack55555

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2021
Almost no game is updated to the new aspect ratio. Not even Apple Arcade games.
The only two games I know that already feature fullscreen are Ordia and FTL

Spaceland got updated too

Currently not supported:
-Ponpu
-Minit
-Alto Odysse and Adventure
-Spacemarshal 1&2
-Severed
-Pako 2
-Arkfront
-My friend pedro
-Witcheye
-Subdivision
-implosion
-CoD mobile
-Transistor
-Bastion
-Titan Quest
-Kotor 2
-Locks quest
-Warhammer Quest 2
-Evertale
-Kings league
-Baldurs gate 1&2
-Neverwinternights
the list goes on and on. I better post the games that are being supported….

Last edited:

xsmett

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2015
Not sure if this is only me but the aspect ratio issue is my biggest complain. A lot more frustrating for me then the jelly scrolling issue. If its not gonna get fixed in the next weeks i might sell my sweet little thing. Using those unsupported apps feels like having an outdated android tablet in my hands.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Not sure if this is only me but the aspect ratio issue is my biggest complain. A lot more frustrating for me then the jelly scrolling issue. If its not gonna get fixed in the next weeks i might sell my sweet little thing. Using those unsupported apps feels like having an outdated android tablet in my hands.

It's going to be up to the individual developers to fix - there's not going to be a one fix that fixes them all.

Reactions: jdb8167

xsmett

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2015
I know.
At least Apple could put on some pressure, and as mentioned before, its kinda embarassing that even almost any game on apples own arcade service is not supporting the new aspect ratio (even they are not game developers).

As far as i remember the 11 pro had a new aspect ratio too, and at least the most common apps got a fix pretty soon.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
I know.
At least Apple could put on some pressure, and as mentioned before, its kinda embarassing that even almost any game on apples own arcade service is not supporting the new aspect ratio (even they are not game developers).

As far as i remember the 11 pro had a new aspect ratio too, and at least the most common apps got a fix pretty soon.
They will eventually but they also need to keep developers happy. At some point in the future they will require the correct aspect ratio but it will probably take at least a year.

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
It's going to be up to the individual developers to fix - there's not going to be a one fix that fixes them all.
Yes. It was worse when the 1st 11" iPad Pro came out (aspect ratio 1.43), as up until that time all iPads were aspect ratio 1.33, so almost all 3rd party apps had big (8mm) black bars on each side. It took several months for most apps to be updated.
The black bars on the mini 6 are smaller (5 mm) due to its aspect ratio of 1.52 compared to 1.43.
I expect apps will gradually be fixed, to comply with Apple's requirements.
If this is unacceptable to prospective buyers, I suggest consider holding off buying one and try one again in 6 months or so.

Last edited:
Reactions: sparksd

Jack55555

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2021
Luckily it is not THAT noticable in games. There only are some like Superbrothers S&S, Baldursgate, Eufloria etc where the aspec ratio really is horrible. But most of those older titles are not supported for ages sadly so I don’t expect any updates there….What really struck me most is that Apple doesn’t force Apple Arcade developer to update their games as soon as possible. I mean it is their own Gaming division…

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Netflix App got an Update. Its now fixed.
HBOMax got an update too but they didn't bother to fix it. Worse, if you go into Picture in Picture mode and then back to full screen, it looks correct for about 1 second then snaps back to the shrunken aspect ratio again. Dumb.

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
I'm returning mine today. Aspect ratio cuts off the bottom of too many websites. Where the cookie nonsense is. That, at times, needs to be dealt with. When streaming over Airplay, only first line of subtitles appear. Other issues: as I’m a landscape user, the power button is constantly inadvertently pressed, the keyboard goes MIA (same thing is happening on an M1 Air I also purchased). It’s starting to hurt watching what once was a tight ship to be admired turn into yet another marketing company that routinely ships products/software that don't work.

Reactions: sunking101

Username-already-in-use

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2021
Call of Duty Mobile initially showed black bars at left and right of landscape usage, however it was fixed around November/December by Activision. No problems since then.

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
Returned mine yesterday. Aspect ratio was the #1 reason. Also; I'm a landscape user and the placement of the power button was causing me to constantly turn the display off.

Websites don't, and probably won't, conform. So not only do cookie banners need to be responded to, we now get to scroll down to get to them. When streaming to an ATV, only the first line of subs will show. I didn't have any apps that were an issue but the mini 6 didn't last long enough to try many.

For those contemplating a return, new mini 5's are tough to find. I did find a new 128GB mini 5 but it took 2 of us and a lot searches to locate it. Had only 1, now in the mail.

Reactions: klasma
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.