Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleTooD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2018
I was in Apple Store the other day. My computer wasn’t able to access their WiFi, as I was using Google’s DNS servers. After I took out the 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 resolvers by Google DNS the internet was accessible again. The Apple Store employee referenced that Apple has their own DNS servers for all computers in their stores. He stated that he used it on his own personal computers, too. Does anyone know what Apple’s own, internal DNS servers are?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I've never heard of a publicly available DNS server by Apple. Whatever they use in the store or at their campuses is very likely a private DNS server on the their LAN/WAN. You won't be able to use it since you'd have to be on their network to do so.

Their private DNS servers will very likely use upstream servers to a public DNS server such as that from Google (not likely though), Level 3, OpenDNS, Quad 9, Cloudflare, Comodo or a host of many others available.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.