Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
Has Apple published the new dev guidelines for AppleTV?

I'm curious if they specifically ban types of apps that will be included.

Will an Amazon Prime app be eligible under the rules? (Maybe)
Will Plex be eligible? (probably not)
Will PopcornTime (definitely not)

I'd like to get definitive answers if possible. Also do we know yet if the apps will be able to plug into the Siri 'app wide content search' via API or if that is curated and controlled by only Apple?

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
thats the big question, will it be closed to only apple like stuff to make sure people have to pay for content, or will plex and kodi get into the app store

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
thats the big question, will it be closed to only apple like stuff to make sure people have to pay for content, or will plex and kodi get into the app store
From this Tweet it looks like Plex wants to develop an AppleTV app.

Screen Shot 2015-09-10 at 7.52.19 AM.png

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
If Apple is consistent with its procedures for its true money maker, the iPhone, in which many Apps are allowed with fairly few restrictions, then Amazon Prime and others should end up on Apple TV. I think all these Apps will make the Apple TV hardware much more popular. In turn this is going to increase Apple's leverage to get the thing it really wants, live TV. And by that I mean, live sports. We are seeing that in the paid Apps like MLB. But what Apple really wants is live Sports without local blackouts.

Reactions: Weaselboy

RollTide1017

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2009
Montgomery, AL
I think things like Vudu and Amazon Instant will be allowed but, like the iPhone app, will not be able to access there stores. It will basically be a viewer for stuff you've already purchased.

I'm fine with that also. I've long dreamed of the day when I could access all my content on one streaming device.

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
I think things like Vudu and Amazon Instant will be allowed but, like the iPhone app, will not be able to access there stores. It will basically be a viewer for stuff you've already purchased.

I'm fine with that also. I've long dreamed of the day when I could access all my content on one streaming device.
I agree. Amazon with be able to get or more devices if they only came out with instant video with only Prime or purchased content. You won't be able to see or buy anything else that is PPV.

Wunderwally

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2015
Austria
I'm pretty sure that if you can release your app now in the iOS Store like Amazon Instant Video, Spotify or Plex etc. you can release your app on the new Apple TV.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
I'm pretty sure that if you can release your app now in the iOS Store like Amazon Instant Video, Spotify or Plex etc. you can release your app on the new Apple TV.

That sounds reasonable. Do we know yet if you can also hook into the 'Apple TV wide Siri search', or does that require extra approval from Apple?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.