Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DesertEagle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2012
/home @ 127.0.0.1
Now that Google Maps can be downloaded from AppStore, my main reason to NOT upgrade is not valid anymore. Same goes for YouTube. Podcasts are now in a separate app, i.e. no longer in Music, and you may or may not like it.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Now that Google Maps can be downloaded from AppStore, my main reason to NOT upgrade is not valid anymore. Same goes for YouTube. Podcasts are now in a separate app, i.e. no longer in Music, and you may or may not like it.

If you don't install the Podcast app they stay in Music.

But there's no longer any way to download podcasts on the device (although the previous method was so badly designed that perhaps that's no great loss).

culb0743

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2013
Hardware Limitations?

I have regreted the update on a 4th generation iPod Touch (32Gb.) since day one. iOS 5.1.1 was snappy and responsive on this device; it ran like a well oiled machine. The update to iOS 6 seemed to create overall lag and studder in doing pretty much anything besides surfing the web with Safari. The degredation in performance was so pronounced that I refrained updating devices with more robust specs comparatively (a 4S and a 3rd gen. iPad). I probably should update these higher spec devices and in the future I likely will. Subsequent supplimental updates to iOS 6 have seemed to have resolved some of the issues, but the overall feel of the UI is still sluggish and irratic on the iPod Touch. I can only assume that it is due to the hardware limitations of the device; hard resets, fresh installations and wide scale app deletion/reinstallation do not yield noticible results and I'm only using half of the device's 32 Gbs of flash storage. This is just my personal experience; I've read forum posts where users report being satisfied with iOS6 on devices older than mine - an iPhone 3GS for example. Thee's an element of subjectivity involved - the perceivable hit in performance iOS6 took on the device may have to do with a variable unique to my iPod Touch - something my personal devise was exposed to since its been in my posession. Furthermore, one user's idea of "good" performance can be another user's idea of "questionable" or even "poor" performance. I'm sure for every person who'se had an experience like mine with iOS 6 on an A4 based device like a 4th gen. iPod Touch or iPhone 4, there will be a person who is perfectly pleased with the exact same setup. Right now, I'm using the iPod Touch as a guinnea pig. When iOS 6 seems to perk up on this device, I'll update the others; however, I'm begining to think that iOS 7 may arrive before everything "feels" right. As I said, the issues may be indigenous to my particular iPod Touch. And Again, this is just my personal experience; I don't mean to frighten you away from iOS 6 completely. Hunt around the forums and read the most recent posts about the device you plan on updating. And keep in mind that a lot of folks don't use forums unless they run into issues; you don't get to hear from all of the people who are completely satisfied with thier experience. Hopefully, more users will respond and share thier experiences so you'll have a better idea what to expect if you do decide to update.

Last edited:

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
What are good reasons to postpone upgrading to iOS 6?

If you preferred the old App store and Music store layout.
If you dislike the new multi coloured status bar in iOS 6.
If you want wireless syncing with iTunes to be reliable.
If you prefer the old integrated Google Maps over the app store Google Maps app.
If you prefer the old music app design.
If you prefer the old integrated YouTube app over the app store YouTube app.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
battery life. iOS 5 had awesome battery life on my iPhone 4s.
Unfortunately the whole battery life thing can be, and often is, quite different for different people. With some it's better on this version, with others it's on that version, etc., etc., etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.