Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smokescreen76

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2010
I have a Apple TV 2 which I've had running nicely for the last few years un-jailbroken. I use it with a Windows 8 PC running iTunes to stream my Handbrake-converted .m4v movies and TV shows. I have kept it up to date with Apple TV software updates.

I am wondering what my current options are if I wanted to Jailbreak it. What different techniques are available and what are the advantages of the different ways to jailbreak it.

(I have a Macbook Pro to run the jailbreak)

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
The latest firmware can be jailbroken but it's tethered (5.2.1).
Also, 5.1.2 is still being signed (I believe, should be) for the Apple TV, so you can downgrade to that as well and jailbreak.

Last edited:

BrandonHacks

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2012
Texas
I'd like to know this as well.. My current firmware is not 6.1.3, but the only way the jailbreak works is by restoring to a custom firmware right? Which requires shsh blobs? So unlike the iPhone you can't just find one with a lower firmware and jailbreak it?

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
I'd like to know this as well.. My current firmware is not 6.1.3, but the only way the jailbreak works is by restoring to a custom firmware right? Which requires shsh blobs? So unlike the iPhone you can't just find one with a lower firmware and jailbreak it?

Correct but if Apple is still signing 5.1.2 which they still were about a month or two ago you can downgrade to that and still jailbreak with Seas0npass.

BrandonHacks

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2012
Texas
Correct but if Apple is still signing 5.1.2 which they still were about a month or two ago you can downgrade to that and still jailbreak with Seas0npass.

From what I've been seeing in the firecore forums is that they did stop signing, but from what I'm trying to understand now is you can dump the blobs from the current installed fw on the tv and then use those to do the jailbreak process.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.