Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djfmf

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2012
I currently have an ipad mini lte that I use as my daily mobile device for talk, tex,t & data by using Talkatone. They recently released some news that Talkatone will no longer support Google Voice starting 14MAY14. Since I don't use a cell phone anymore what other voip options can I use, whether IOS or Android?

TheScribe

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2012
Wherever I am.
Now that's some bullcrap

I've been using talkatone with my google voice for almost two years. I haven't paid a phone bill for almost two years. I didn't know this support was ending until I read this post...but then I searched and sure enough, talkatone says it's official. It's googles fault. They want everyone using hangouts...which I have found to be a terribly subpar service. If I can't continue to use my device the way I NEED TO and the way I HAVE CHOSEN TO then I will abandon all support for google. They're going to ruin google voice just like they ruined youtube.

Today was a good day too. Then this.

ugcop

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Traveling @ Warp Speed ...... USA
I use Skype voice. I have an assigned phone number. I also use Whistle. They both cost me a few cents per call to use but service is great.

I've been using Hangout and haven't really seen a problem with it other than it needs somebody to improve the looks. Not sure how anybody could be proud of their product when it looks like it is 10 years old on launch day.

daddyd302

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2012
West Allis, WI
I just use Google hangouts with google voice as my voicemail. I also have text me. I haven't tested it on the road yet. I'll test it out when I get a data plan for my Ipad mini retina.

djfmf

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2012
I'm considering going back to T-mobile Prepaid plan $30 for 100 minutes Unlimited text and 5gb of 4g data. so far I've been getting by on 3gb on att lte for my ipad mini. I'll try to stay the prepaid route.

daddyd302

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2012
West Allis, WI
I'm considering going back to T-mobile Prepaid plan $30 for 100 minutes Unlimited text and 5gb of 4g data. so far I've been getting by on 3gb on att lte for my ipad mini. I'll try to stay the prepaid route.

I don't think the Ipad is eligible for that plan.... You could ask them, but I'm 100% sure they're gonna tell you no. I'm considering AT&T for my Ipad mini retina because they offer 3GB and has better coverage then T-Mobile. T-Mobile only offers 2.7GB.

djfmf

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2012
I don't think the Ipad is eligible for that plan.... You could ask them, but I'm 100% sure they're gonna tell you no. I'm considering AT&T for my Ipad mini retina because they offer 3GB and has better coverage then T-Mobile. T-Mobile only offers 2.7GB.

We'll I've had no problems in San Diego with LTE service. I even turned it off and leave it on 4g to save battery life. with my 3gb plan i always try to tap into wifi as much as possible and use mobile data for little things on the road.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
Give MagicJack a try. It's free in the iTunes Store. It does require a WIFI or LTE signal to make and receive calls.

enciclopedica

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2014
I recently started to use Talkatone with the same purpose, use my Ipad as a cellphone without knowing that talkatone is not longer integrated with google voice.

I´ve been able to use talkatone without using any google stuff. So reading this I ´m not sure how actually works. I used the first days for free but after couple days I paid "60 credits" for $0.99 (I don´t have idea what does it mean). I´ve googling it but is not information abuout it. Any thoughs?

okwhatev

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2005
We'll I've had no problems in San Diego with LTE service. I even turned it off and leave it on 4g to save battery life. with my 3gb plan i always try to tap into wifi as much as possible and use mobile data for little things on the road.

LTE uses LESS power then 3G/4G. WAY less. So you're actually decreasing your battery life by turning it off.

MasterA

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2015
I would agree that your best solution is to download the MagicJack app. It's free, but has limitations. It will work well for making outgoing calls, however, it will grab a random number which only the DID that you call can place a return call to and actually connect. The VOIP quality seems to be much better than talkatone, but again, you wont have your own number tied to it in the free version. Texting and international calling is also out of the question.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.