Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DekuBleep

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2013
My iPhone 12 Pro Max has been in a case for its entire life, I never take it out of the case except rarely to clean it.

Today I took it out of the case to clean it, and I noticed that the rear glass panel is shattered. The rear panel is still on, and I don't know when it happened. And I wouldn't notice it if I hadn't randomly decided to take my case off for the first time in months. But the glass is badly broken as you can see:

BQoCPnF.jpg

I don't have AppleCare+ for this phone. Does Apple really charge $329 to repair the glass on the back of the iPhone? Do I have any other repair options that are authorized by Apple.

Honestly I guess I could keep using it like this since I don't see it when it's in the case. Not sure if that crack over the LiDaR scanner affects my photos or not. But my photos have looked normal to me. But it would be nice to repair it... Thanks for your help!

BuggyGT

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2019
So hate to break it to you but the back glass actually cost $599 to repair, the front cost $329 if direct from Apple. In my area I found some back glass repair places that charge about $229 but of course it wont be genuine parts.

Reactions: Andeddu

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Apple loves glass backed phones. When they break, you’re screwed unless you’ve bought Apple Care which you’re kinda screwed having to get in the first place.

Reactions: Fred Zed

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
My iPhone 12 Pro Max has been in a case for its entire life, I never take it out of the case except rarely to clean it.

Today I took it out of the case to clean it, and I noticed that the rear glass panel is shattered. The rear panel is still on, and I don't know when it happened. And I wouldn't notice it if I hadn't randomly decided to take my case off for the first time in months. But the glass is badly broken as you can see:

I don't have AppleCare+ for this phone. Does Apple really charge $329 to repair the glass on the back of the iPhone? Do I have any other repair options that are authorized by Apple.

Honestly I guess I could keep using it like this since I don't see it when it's in the case. Not sure if that crack over the LiDaR scanner affects my photos or not. But my photos have looked normal to me. But it would be nice to repair it... Thanks for your help!
I thought Apple was offering a easier rear glass repair for AppleCare+, maybe it can be done out of warranty for less than the full phone replacement. Worth a shot

DekuBleep

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2013
I thought Apple was offering a easier rear glass repair for AppleCare+, maybe it can be done out of warranty for less than the full phone replacement. Worth a shot

Thanks, yes, I guess I should call Apple or go to an Apple store and see what they say. I saw some apple news website earlier today saying it costs $99 out of warranty that I can't find anymore. And I guess that I have to buy a better case. Honestly I'd prefer to not have a glass back but I don't have a choice.

BTW, has anyone tried any of these $20 DIY kits on Amazon:

Is it very hard and time-consuming to try to do this yourself?

Thanks!

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Thanks, yes, I guess I should call Apple or go to an Apple store and see what they say. I saw some apple news website earlier today saying it costs $99 out of warranty that I can't find anymore. And I guess that I have to buy a better case. Honestly I'd prefer to not have a glass back but I don't have a choice.

BTW, has anyone tried any of these $20 DIY kits on Amazon:

Is it very hard and time-consuming to try to do this yourself?

Thanks!
Check out some of the videos on YouTube. Doesn't look like something I'd want to try..

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Oh man it’s either apple or bust. The back area incorporates so many important technology. Replacing it involves melting the glue separating glass. It’s not even feasible to do and look halfway decent. So if I were you slap a skin on the back and call it a day. You’ll forget it in dude time when the functionality and pictures do not chance.

Steven-iphone

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2020
United States
If you can find a repair shop that uses a Laser Marking Machine. This device uses a Laser to heat up the glue laminate and allow the separation of the glass back and the frame surface.

Last edited:

DekuBleep

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2013
Oh man it’s either apple or bust. The back area incorporates so many important technology. Replacing it involves melting the glue separating glass. It’s not even feasible to do and look halfway decent. So if I were you slap a skin on the back and call it a day. You’ll forget it in dude time when the functionality and pictures do not chance.

Where do I get a good "skin" for the back of my iPhone 12 Pro max? Never heard of "skins" before... thanks!

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Where do I get a good "skin" for the back of my iPhone 12 Pro max? Never heard of "skins" before... thanks!
There’s a billion companies that sell skins for your iPhone. It’ll solve the broken back screen out of sign out of mind

InsanelySirius

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2022
What did you end up doing to resolve this? There’s a Facebook Marketplace listing with the same picture of your phone, did you decide to upgrade or is that a scam?

DekuBleep

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2013
What did you end up doing to resolve this? There’s a Facebook Marketplace listing with the same picture of your phone, did you decide to upgrade or is that a scam?
I bought a skin off of Amazon and slapped it onto the back of my phone. The Facebook listing must be a scam that stole my picture off of this forum.

Reactions: Andeddu
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.