Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aces99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2014
Canada
What are people's thoughts on the yellowish tinge on the new IPhone SE & iPad Pro screens? I think it is supposed to be far a more warmer affect for people's eyes. Do people like the more warmer look or do you prefer the more whiter screens? I am on the fence and not sure what I prefer yet. I suppose it will take a little getting used to.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
As in normally or when using Night Shift (which is supposed to do that)?

aces99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2014
Canada
I mean normally, I have night shift turned off. I know when you turn nigh shift on it will do that. The screen just seems to be a little more yellowish than I remember on my 5S. There is also an article on MacRumours that mentions the yellowing of the display. Here is a screenshot so you can see. That picture is with the screen brightness at 50% which is the same as I have always had it. Is that normal? It's not bad just seems to have a yellowish tinge to the screen that I don't remember having before.
Image1459735085.770655.jpg

Last edited:

iManic

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2016
What are people's thoughts on the yellowish tinge on the new IPhone SE & iPad Pro screens? I think it is supposed to be far a more warmer affect for people's eyes. Do people like the more warmer look or do you prefer the more whiter screens? I am on the fence and not sure what I prefer yet. I suppose it will take a little getting used to.

Are you using the new iPad Pro 9.7 inch? I think you are talking about the true tone display that changes the screen color temperature to your environment so it's not so stark. This display is only on the 9.7 inch iPad Pro it's not available on the iPhone se or any other iOS device. If you have the new 9.7 inch iPad Pro go into setting > Display&Brightness and turn off the toggle for true tone

Reactions: Armen

Psyfuzz

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2014
My iPhone 6S display is warmer than your other Apple devices, and after comparing it to other 6S demo models in store it's fair to say that's just how displays are for that particular model. If you've got a 6S and another iOS/OS X device, open up the calendar app on both devices and have a look at the difference in temperatures, it's unusually un-Apple how this display has somehow made it into production.

However it's the only device in the line I'd say definitely has a warm display temperature, when comparing it to the new iPad Pros and the 6S+, they still have the cooler, blue-ish screen temperature. True tone is a life saver though, I'd definitely prefer having a bluer screen by default then having the option of true tone and night shift to warm things up manually.

aces99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2014
Canada
Are you using the new iPad Pro 9.7 inch? I think you are talking about the true tone display that changes the screen color temperature to your environment so it's not so stark. This display is only on the 9.7 inch iPad Pro it's not available on the iPhone se or any other iOS device. If you have the new 9.7 inch iPad Pro go into setting > Display&Brightness and turn off the toggle for true tone

Yes I am talking about the new 9.7" iPad Pro. I have true tone turned off. If I turn it on it is even worse. Both my new iPad Pro and iPhone SE have a more warmer yellow screen than my iPad Air and iPhone 5S did. Here is a screenshot I just took. Is this normal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.