Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dferigmu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 3, 2004
Washington, DC
I’m going to Europe for about a year and (of course) taking my iPod with me. The problem is, Apple’s ear-buds that come with the iPod get pretty uncomfortable after about an hour. I’m looking for a pair of ear-buds headphones that are good quality, provide good sound, are comfortable, but aren’t too expensive.

The main two that I have been looking at are the Koss "Plug" portable headphones and the Sony Fontopia headphones. Does anyone have any other suggestions or are one of these good?

davidcb13

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2005
dferigmu said:
I’m going to Europe for about a year and (of course) taking my iPod with me. The problem is, Apple’s ear-buds that come with the iPod get pretty uncomfortable after about an hour. I’m looking for a pair of ear-buds headphones that are good quality, provide good sound, are comfortable, but aren’t too expensive.

The main two that I have been looking at are the Koss "Plug" portable headphones and the Sony Fontopia headphones. Does anyone have any other suggestions or are one of these good?

I have a pair very similar to these and I like them alot. Took a while to get used to but now I cant live without them. I tried to go back to the apples and the sound was nothing like these.

i forgot the link http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6825297&type=product&id=1091101528169

hayduke

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2005
is a state of mind.
Fontopias are great...

I haven't used too many different kinds of earbuds, but I stopped shopping around after I got my Fontopia MDR-EX51. They are very comfortable and the sound is good. They do tangle a bit easily so I somtimes wish the wire casing was a bit stiffer and more rubbery. On the otherhand they are very durable. I have had them for ~18months (longer?) and have inadvertently tugged on them very hard a number of times. Needless to say they are still working well.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i have a pair of Fontopias as well... i like them, very comfortable and durable, i would definitely recommend them.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
Vader said:
How are the Apple in ear?
I haven't used them, but they look nice.

they use a more cone-shaped plug for your ear, which causes them to slide out of place very easily, the sony's at least are rounded and fit better for more people and are also more comfortable, i had a pair of the Apple, but couldnt stand them.

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
i like my pair of koss "the plugs." 20 bucks and they sound great--the inner ear kind. the left driver broke a couple weeks ago and i haven't gotten around to getting a new pair yet tho :p

DaftUnion

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2005
Wisconsin
I think this says it all...I have them myself, fantastic sound improvment over the traditional pack-ins. :D

The writing isn't very readable unless you save the image first to your hard drive and then look at it.

Attachments

• Best Headphones Under 60.JPG
    Best Headphones Under 60.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 394

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
I second the white fontopias... theyre amazing for the price....

where in europe will you be staying?

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
dferigmu said:

the Koss plug ones.. just.. ew.

I had them, but had to return them-- they were just horrific. I would NOT recommend them. I hated them to the max. (they were the last thing I ever got from a best buy-- the return process was SO HORRIBLE I vowed to never step foot in one again.)

chucknorris

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2005
Moscow, ID (No Kremlin here!)
katie ta achoo said:
the Koss plug ones.. just.. ew.

I had them, but had to return them-- they were just horrific. I would NOT recommend them. I hated them to the max. (they were the last thing I ever got from a best buy-- the return process was SO HORRIBLE I vowed to never step foot in one again.)

Hey Katie! Your avatar caused me to let out a serious giggle...thank you.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
chucknorris said:
Hey Katie! Your avatar caused me to let out a serious giggle...thank you.

Aww, you love the president of the New York Federal Reserve, too?

Timothy Geithner! Huzzah! :)

but.. seriously.. don't get the koss ones. they are suxxorz ;)

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
davidcb13 said:
I have a pair very similar to these and I like them alot. Took a while to get used to but now I cant live without them. I tried to go back to the apples and the sound was nothing like these.

i forgot the link http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6825297&type=product&id=1091101528169

I have the very headphones in this link. They sound great, come with three in-ear cone sizes and they are white to match my ipod :) I love mine and they wound WAY better than the ones Apple sends with the ipod.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.